Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 8th Generation cannot be connected to Macbook Pro (2015) with USB-A lightning cable

I use original apple USB-A lightning cable to connect iPad 8th Generation to Macbook Pro (2015) and it does not work. Connection is not stable because iPad cyclically disconnects every 2 seconds and iPad disappears in Finder Locations section.

Note: USB-C lightning cable works well to connect same iPad 8th Generation to Macbook Pro (2019).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 6:20 PM

It looks like iPad 8th Gen is not compatible with Macbook Pro (2015) because iPad 8th Gen consume too much power and as far I can see it cannot regulate power consumption so Macbook Pro (2015) just turns off USB port because of power overload.

My solution was using USB Hub with external power adapter.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2021 6:20 PM in response to ProustGiulio

It looks like iPad 8th Gen is not compatible with Macbook Pro (2015) because iPad 8th Gen consume too much power and as far I can see it cannot regulate power consumption so Macbook Pro (2015) just turns off USB port because of power overload.

My solution was using USB Hub with external power adapter.

Apr 29, 2021 12:33 PM in response to ProustGiulio

I tried three official Apple lightning cables, both ports on the laptop, tried use usb hub and etc. with the same result.

I found that Finder asking to accept some license agreement not as separate dialog as usual Apple software do and it is embedding it in Finder screen. It is not possible to click in 2 seconds in Finder on Locations/iPad then on blue button Continue then on next screen on checkbox on to accept license agreement and button continue to proceed to iPad manage screen. To do this I have to run several archive processes to archive large files, run XCode installation to slowdown computer and only then I could able to click all buttons and get to iPad manage screen in Finder.

After that iPad connection could still for 5 second. If I plug/unplug iPad several times then problem with disconnect disappears. Problem appears again after Macbook Pro restart so I have to plug/unplug iPad several times to make connection stable. Such behavior reproducible with any Apple lightning cable.

Found iPad 6th generation and it connects to the laptop correctly without such issues and workaround with plug/unplug cable for several times.

I believe this is software issue because I USB ports on laptop works well and I can connect other Apple hardware such as keyboard, mouse, touchpad and etc without issue. Or this is incompatibility iPad 8th Generation with USB-A lightning cables.

iPad 8th Generation cannot be connected to Macbook Pro (2015) with USB-A lightning cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.