Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some questions regarding new iMacs connectors

Hello, new apple iMacs have Thunderbolt/USB 4 connectors only. So I need to know if I can plug usb devices to these connectors and thunderbolt devices as well. Also I need to be advised regarding a hub model I can plug normal usb devices and RJ-45 Enternet plug to one box.

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 9:07 AM

In most cases you only need adapters to connect older devices. For example if you have a USB 2.0 or 3.0 device you can find adapters for less than $15 on Amazon. If you have old Thunderbolt 1 or 2 devices, then you need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters, Apple sells one. If you Thunderbolt 3 devices, they are the same as Thunderbolt 4 so no worries there.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2021 9:07 AM in response to Aleksei1917

In most cases you only need adapters to connect older devices. For example if you have a USB 2.0 or 3.0 device you can find adapters for less than $15 on Amazon. If you have old Thunderbolt 1 or 2 devices, then you need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters, Apple sells one. If you Thunderbolt 3 devices, they are the same as Thunderbolt 4 so no worries there.

Apr 30, 2021 6:43 AM in response to Aleksei1917

Apple is extremely practical and leads the way in innovation. By going to USB C and Thunderbolt 4 they are providing you with MUCH MUCH faster interfaces. I understand you have old slower peripherals, however when you eventually upgrade then you will appreciate the speed.

Apple has lead the way with many innovations, dropping DVD drives in iMacs 10 years ago, and diskette drives very long ago, why because they looked into the future and saw that those devices were not included. There solutions available to you that solve your temporary problem and there is no need to whine.

Some questions regarding new iMacs connectors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.