Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur latest upgrade continues to time out without loading. 900 GB of 1 TB remain. Rebooted several times without any luck. ?

macOS Big Sur latest update continues to time out without loading. 900 GB of 1 TB remain. Rebooted several times without any luck. ?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 11:32 AM

Suggest - restart Router and then Shutdown Computer and connect via Ethernet connection. Restart computer in Safe Mode - Shift - Key immediately at startup. It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and load only Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. Once in Open Apple Apps Store and find Big Sur and download. Try not to let computer go to sleep mode or Screen Save to activate. Be patient as one knows it Big Sur is 12.18 GB size. There are often periods where it seems to pause the download , normal be patient as countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real Time could be 30 - 45 minutes. This can and will happen several time in the process. If all goes well. it will successfully download and attempt to Launch. Do NOT allow it to start - Quit the Installer. Check Applications Folder for new App called Install Bug Sur. Make a copy to External Drive - future usage. Now, restart again in Safe Mode - then launch the Installer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2021 11:32 AM in response to Ironspud

Suggest - restart Router and then Shutdown Computer and connect via Ethernet connection. Restart computer in Safe Mode - Shift - Key immediately at startup. It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and load only Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. Once in Open Apple Apps Store and find Big Sur and download. Try not to let computer go to sleep mode or Screen Save to activate. Be patient as one knows it Big Sur is 12.18 GB size. There are often periods where it seems to pause the download , normal be patient as countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real Time could be 30 - 45 minutes. This can and will happen several time in the process. If all goes well. it will successfully download and attempt to Launch. Do NOT allow it to start - Quit the Installer. Check Applications Folder for new App called Install Bug Sur. Make a copy to External Drive - future usage. Now, restart again in Safe Mode - then launch the Installer.

Apr 29, 2021 2:51 PM in response to Ironspud

My update wasn't that big - 6.2G. It took a long time to download, preparing to install and install. I tried over several days to do so - and even in safe mode. It finally worked when I let it be for a couple of hours - kept hanging with 15 minutes to go. I hear that people who download over the web instead of from the settings icon had an easier install. I'm going to try that the next time as my downloads are never easy.

That said - I am happy with the latest update as it fixed so many problems that my Mac Air 2019 was having,

macOS Big Sur latest upgrade continues to time out without loading. 900 GB of 1 TB remain. Rebooted several times without any luck. ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.