Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How did spammers learn that I had updated my os

A few weeks ago I updated the OS on my iphone 7 (to 14.4.2). No problems.

But about 45 minutes after that was completed, I got a call on that phone from a number I did not recognize, so I ignored the call. A few minutes later, a second call, from a different number (but same area code & exchange--same AC & exchange as my phone!)

Then a third, 4th, 5th, all from different numbers on my A/C & exchange. So I knew this was a scam of some sort. One of the callers left a voicemail, which I listened to--the usual nonsense about "your phone may have been compromised, call the apple support network for help"--which of course was nonsense.

My question: how was my phone identified as having updated the OS? I have had no problems or suspicions of any kind since then, so I am not looking for additional protective software, but I'd like to know how these folks learned that I'd updated the OS.

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 10:39 AM

Appleisfrustratingme99 wrote:
My question: how was my phone identified as having updated the OS? I have had no problems or suspicions of any kind since then, so I am not looking for additional protective software, but I'd like to know how these folks learned that I'd updated the OS.

Your phone was not 'identified as having updated the OS'.

These are quite common scam calls coming from spoofed numbers going out to hundreds or thousands of numbers simultaneously.

The timing is a coincidence.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Appleisfrustratingme99

Your phone was not 'identified as having updated the OS'.

These are quite common scam calls coming from spoofed numbers going out to hundreds or thousands of numbers simultaneously.

The timing is a coincidence.

Apr 30, 2021 10:33 AM in response to Appleisfrustratingme99

A few weeks ago I updated the OS on my iphone 7 (to 14.4.2). No problems.

But about 45 minutes after that was completed, I got a call on that phone from a number I did not recognize, so I ignored the call. A few minutes later, a second call, from a different number (but same area code & exchange--same AC & exchange as my phone!)

Then a third, 4th, 5th, all from different numbers on my A/C & exchange. So I knew this was a scam of some sort. One of the callers left a voicemail, which I listened to--the usual nonsense about "your phone may have been compromised, call the apple support network for help"--which of course was nonsense.

And how did you come to that conclusion that they knew you updated the OS?

How did spammers learn that I had updated my os

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.