Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to go over Activation Lock

Hello, after successfully updating my iphone 4, am now unable to go over the activation lock.

The message on the screen reads that the apple ID used cannot be used to unlock the iphone.

How do I solve this one now ?

NB.

I cannot remember which apple ID was used previously.

Please help

Thank you.

Posted on May 1, 2021 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 3:02 AM

Did you buy the device second-hand (used)? If a used iOS device has been 'Activation locked' then only the previous owner can unlock it, either by providing you with the account ID and password, or by carrying out the steps detailed in How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support (as he should have done before selling it).

If you are unable to contact him to do this then I'm afraid you will not be able to use the device - there is no other way of unlocking it at all. Apple cannot unlock it for you, nor find the previous owner for you, and neither can the websites that offer to unlock it for a fee: these are scams.

You should if possible return it to wherever you bought it and ask for a refund as in this event the device is completely useless.

If on the other hand you bought it new, and the ID it's asking for is yours but you've forgotten it, go to https://iforgot.apple.com to retrieve the ID and reset the password. See also If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

Failing that, as long as you are the original owner and can produce a proof of purchase (which must include the serial, IMEI or MEID number) you can request unlocking as detailed here: Activation Lock - Support. Note that the process will completely erase the device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2021 3:02 AM in response to Bnell254

Did you buy the device second-hand (used)? If a used iOS device has been 'Activation locked' then only the previous owner can unlock it, either by providing you with the account ID and password, or by carrying out the steps detailed in How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support (as he should have done before selling it).

If you are unable to contact him to do this then I'm afraid you will not be able to use the device - there is no other way of unlocking it at all. Apple cannot unlock it for you, nor find the previous owner for you, and neither can the websites that offer to unlock it for a fee: these are scams.

You should if possible return it to wherever you bought it and ask for a refund as in this event the device is completely useless.

If on the other hand you bought it new, and the ID it's asking for is yours but you've forgotten it, go to https://iforgot.apple.com to retrieve the ID and reset the password. See also If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

Failing that, as long as you are the original owner and can produce a proof of purchase (which must include the serial, IMEI or MEID number) you can request unlocking as detailed here: Activation Lock - Support. Note that the process will completely erase the device.

How to go over Activation Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.