Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting multiple empty photo albums

for some reason I several hundred empty albums in photos. Is there a way to delete all or does it have to be done album by album?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 1, 2021 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 6:34 AM

You can select many albums at once, if you are in the Albums view in Photos then you can drag a selection rectangle around the thumbnails of the albums.

Then you can directly ctrl-click or right-click the selected set of albums and use "Delete ... albums" or drag them to the folder.

For example - dragging a selection rectangle across the albums:

Deleting all selected albums together by ctrl-clicking them:

My screenshots are from Photos 6 on macOS 11 Big Sur. Which system version do you have installed?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 6:34 AM in response to mjhanlon14

You can select many albums at once, if you are in the Albums view in Photos then you can drag a selection rectangle around the thumbnails of the albums.

Then you can directly ctrl-click or right-click the selected set of albums and use "Delete ... albums" or drag them to the folder.

For example - dragging a selection rectangle across the albums:

Deleting all selected albums together by ctrl-clicking them:

My screenshots are from Photos 6 on macOS 11 Big Sur. Which system version do you have installed?

May 4, 2021 4:32 AM in response to léonie

Thanks. Unfortunately I am trying to delete empty folders not albums and I am not able to select them using the normal shift command that you would use to select a series of items like e mails to delete. I am only able to manipulate the folders one at a time. Either delete 1 at a time or move into new folder1 at a time. I am running Catalina

deleting multiple empty photo albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.