Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I sum a column in numbers without using auto select?

I know I can select the first cell in a column then drag the selection down to sum, but when i add a row I need to do the same thing again adding the cell in the new row to the election and sum.

Is there a way to just say I want all the cells in the column summed and put into the totals cell at the bottom of the column(footer)?

Perhaps this is small annoyances, but I add so many rows and want so many columns totaled that it becomes annoying.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on May 1, 2021 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 8:09 AM

PurduefanGA wrote:

Is there a way to just say I want all the cells in the column summed and put into the totals cell at the bottom of the column(footer)?

Yes! Numbers makes this easy. Define the bottom row as a Footer Row. One way to do that is this:

Then in the formula refer to the entire column, like this:

=SUM(A)

Now, when you add a new body row (you can do that going to the last row before the Footer Row and hitting <return>) the formula will automatically include the value in the new row.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2021 8:09 AM in response to PurduefanGA

PurduefanGA wrote:

Yes! Numbers makes this easy. Define the bottom row as a Footer Row. One way to do that is this:

Then in the formula refer to the entire column, like this:

=SUM(A)

Now, when you add a new body row (you can do that going to the last row before the Footer Row and hitting <return>) the formula will automatically include the value in the new row.

SG

May 1, 2021 8:03 AM in response to PurduefanGA

Instead of SUM(B2:B20) you can use =SUM(B). The "B" will refer to all cells in the column other than header and footer cells.

But I'm not clear what you are doing and why when you add a new row it is not being included in your sum automatically. If I have a table with the formula =SUM(B2:B20) in the footer (row 21) and I add a new data row at the bottom, the sum in the footer adjusts to be =SUM(B2:B21).

can I sum a column in numbers without using auto select?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.