Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music: Error saving Music Library in Catalina

Not all the music in the library is showing up, and I keep getting this error message:

Is there a fix, or has Apple finally broken what's left of iTunes?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 1, 2021 8:06 AM

7 replies

May 2, 2021 9:48 AM in response to MX5Bob

Hi MX5Bob,

We see you're getting error 54 with your music library. We'd be happy to help work on resolving that.

For this particular error, please check out the steps on this page, which is dedicated to that error code: If you see error -54 when you sync with your computer

In addition to steps 1-6 laid out there, be sure to also try the steps noted just above them. That will include restarting both the Mac and iOS device in question, and ensuring you're using the latest available version of macOS Catalina, or upgrading to Big Sur: How to update the software on your Mac

If the issue still persists, you may wish to try setting up a newly created Admin user on the Mac. Then, temporarily switch over to that new user account, and see if it persists there. That helps to note if it's system-wide or user-specific. If needed, steps for that can be located here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Take care!

May 4, 2021 2:43 PM in response to MX5Bob

MX5Bob,

Thanks for clarifying. Do you have any iOS devices connected to the computer at the time?

Does restarting the devices help at all? Do you happen to have any kind of third-party security software installed? If so, try temporarily disabling it and try again.

If you haven't had a chance, we'd also suggest going through the steps to try this out in a new Admin user account on the Mac. This will be a good step for isolating it down further: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Another good step to try would be to disconnect any accessories/devices that may be connected to the Mac. Then, shut it down and start it up in safe mode. Info on what this does, and how to perform this step can be located here: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Take care!

May 8, 2021 2:25 PM in response to MX5Bob

MX5Bob,

Does the same issue happen when loading the library on the internal drive, as well as with the VPN disconnected?

Also, try double-checking the permissions of the Music folder to see if it may be set to Read only. If so, try changing it to Read & Write: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac

If it continues to persist, we'd suggest reaching out directly to Apple Support for further investigation. You can use this link to do that: Get Support

Take care.

May 5, 2021 10:14 PM in response to Eric_G1

Eric, I do not have any other iOS devices directly connected.

I do have a VPN application running.

And I have a separate Admin account that is from a bare-bones install, ie, no added apps and what have you. That didn't make a difference.

Today, the Music app shows *some* artists/albums/songs, BUT not all of what is in the the iTunes>Media>Music folder.

That folder lives on an external mini-RAID.

May 13, 2021 3:00 PM in response to MX5Bob

Contacted Apple Support last Saturday. The tech's suggestion was to drag missing files from their folders to the Music window. It seemed to work.

Until I re-launched it. Files still missing, another -54 error when I dragged files to the Music window.

Catalina supposedly better than Mojave. I'd gladly go back, but Apple is **** bent on not providing such a path. No, you have to buy new computers every 2 years.

Jobs would be ashamed.

Apple Music: Error saving Music Library in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.