Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mounting an accidentally NTFS formatted drive (?)

Mounting accidentally NTFS formatted external drive (?)

So, it seems I've made a mistake. While at work, I plugged my Seagate BUP Slim SL Media 2TB external hd into a Windows machine to bring home a PDF of an old magazine collection. When I got home and tried to read this publication I could not mount the external SSD. When I open Disk Utility I can see the USB drive but it's grayed out. When I try to mount it I get an error:

Could not mount “Subsonic Temple”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244.)

Obviously this is not good but I don't know what this error means. I noticed that the drive is recognized now as being formatted for Windows NT Filesystem (compressed). So I decided to try Tuxera Disk Manager to hopefully access the files and move them to another drive. The drive shows up just as it does in Disk Utility– grayed out. When I open the drive in Tuxera I get another error:

Error while mounting disk4s1: Illegal byte sequence

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've seen some other posts recommending Disk Warrior and other paid software solutions but I'm not sure they will be of any help. I have a lot of important files on this drive that I don't want to lose. My main machine is an M1 MacBook Pro running Big Sur, Version 11.2.2.

Help?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 1, 2021 8:20 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 1, 2021 8:39 AM in response to tri0d9

tri0d9 wrote:

Mounting accidentally NTFS formatted external drive (?)
So, it seems I've made a mistake. While at work, I plugged my Seagate BUP Slim SL Media 2TB external hd into a Windows machine to bring home a PDF of an old magazine collection. When I got home and tried to read this publication I could not mount the external SSD. When I open Disk Utility I can see the USB drive but it's grayed out. When I try to mount it I get an error:

Could not mount “Subsonic Temple”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244.)

Obviously this is not good but I don't know what this error means. I noticed that the drive is recognized now as being formatted for Windows NT Filesystem (compressed). So I decided to try Tuxera Disk Manager to hopefully access the files and move them to another drive. The drive shows up just as it does in Disk Utility– grayed out. When I open the drive in Tuxera I get another error:

Error while mounting disk4s1: Illegal byte sequence

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've seen some other posts recommending Disk Warrior and other paid software solutions but I'm not sure they will be of any help. I have a lot of important files on this drive that I don't want to lose. My main machine is an M1 MacBook Pro running Big Sur, Version 11.2.2.

Help?

third party

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

Or reformat the external drive to be comapatable—GUID/apfs

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/19.0/mac/10.15

Mounting an accidentally NTFS formatted drive (?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.