Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay not working?

Why won’t airplay work on my MacBook Air 2017? Just upgraded to os Big Sur. It hasn’t worked in a while but not sure when it stopped as I haven’t needed it for awhile. I would like to use it to use my iPad Pro as a second screen.

Posted on May 1, 2021 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 11:27 PM

You cannot use AirPlay to mirror your screen from a MacBook Air to an iPad. To use an iPad as a second screen, you would use the SIDECAR feature available in System Preferences of the macOS.

Unfortunately, you will still not be able to use SIDECAR because it requires a MacBook Air 2018 or Later. Yours is a 2017 MacBook Air. Your iPad Pro qualifies.

Back to AirPlay in Big Sur. AirPlay is known as Screen Mirroring and you can locate that in the MENU BAR at the top of your screen. You can AirPlay to a Smart TV through the Apple TV device OR directly on an AirPlay capable smart TV.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2021 11:27 PM in response to dqualls345

You cannot use AirPlay to mirror your screen from a MacBook Air to an iPad. To use an iPad as a second screen, you would use the SIDECAR feature available in System Preferences of the macOS.

Unfortunately, you will still not be able to use SIDECAR because it requires a MacBook Air 2018 or Later. Yours is a 2017 MacBook Air. Your iPad Pro qualifies.

Back to AirPlay in Big Sur. AirPlay is known as Screen Mirroring and you can locate that in the MENU BAR at the top of your screen. You can AirPlay to a Smart TV through the Apple TV device OR directly on an AirPlay capable smart TV.

Axel F.

Airplay not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.