Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an external optical drive on macbook pro 2020

Just received my new macbook pro (replacing my MBP2013 retina). My old MBP didn't have an internal optical drive so back then I purchased an Apple external optical drive so I could watch DVDs and import and burn CDs. It connects via a USB-A and has never skipped a beat.

Now I have to get use to life with just these two little USB-C ports (I am so used to always having power attached!). I got a little adapter to use an external hard drive (USB-C to USB-A) which worked fine for that, however when I plug my optical drive into the adapter then adapter to either USB-C port I get a message: "USB accessory needs power. Connect "Apple USB..." to a USB port on this Mac"

I'm assuming I need a different adapter that allows power to be supplied by the macbook to the disc drive? There are so many variations of adapter it's doing my head in. What specific phrase or feature am I looking for? Or will I need to buy a new disc drive? :/

Do both the thunderport ports on the MBP 2020 provide power to peripherals in general?

Posted on May 1, 2021 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 10:55 PM

Hi,

I think you need to get self powered USB Hub when you use external USB drive which supplies the power to the drive.

Similar questions

1 reply

Using an external optical drive on macbook pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.