Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Yamaha PSR E413 as a MIDI controller to Garage Band in Mac Book Pro M1 running Big Sur 11

I used to use a 2016 MacBook Pro and I ran my Yamaha PSR E413 into it through usb and was able to use it as a midi controller in Garage Band.

I just got the new 2020 MacBook M1 running Big Sur and I can no longer figure out how to use my Yamaha PSR E413 as a midi controller in Garage Band. I installed the USB MIDI driver from https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb_midi_driver_for_mac.html and restarted the computer. But it just don't work. Looks like we will need a version for M1 chips. The current version of the software is compatible with macOS 10.15.x-10.5..x

Has anyone else run into the problem of not being able to use their keyboard as a midi controller on the new Mac/macOS? Can anyone suggest any other MIDI Keyboards that will be compatible with new Mac Book Pro M1 Silicon Chips with Mac OS Big Sur 11.3. Need urgent help and suggestion.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 2, 2021 12:18 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 4, 2021 11:00 AM in response to Soumen_Ghoshal

Greetings Soumen_Ghoshal,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to help with the issue you're having connecting your Yamaha keyboard with your new MacBook Pro.

The most recent software for your Mac is macOS 11.3. Please make a Time Machine backup and then update the operating system on your Mac.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

How to update the software on your Mac

Yamaha Firmware and Software

The link above reveals a Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V3.0.5 for macOS 11 (Intel/Apple silicon with Rosetta 2) updated 2021-04-22.

Check with Yamaha to see if this driver will work with your PSR E413.

If GarageBand isn't working on your Mac

Have a great day!

Unable to Yamaha PSR E413 as a MIDI controller to Garage Band in Mac Book Pro M1 running Big Sur 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.