Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB audio dropouts on Big Sur 11.3

Since I've updated Big Sur to 11.3, I'm having massive problems with short audio dropouts through my USB audio interface (Roland Rubix 22). The dropouts occur at least once a minute (mostly 4-5 times a minute) and it makes both listening to music and my professional audio work in Logic Pro X impossible, which is very frustrating. I've isolated the problem by testing my hardware and cables on different machines. It all works fine (as it did before 11.3). So it has to be the update.

I'm not alone with this problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/n04yiz/dont_update_to_bigsur_113/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252189453

I hope that there are more people with that issue, so Apple will listen and fix that.

I'm on a MacBook Pro M1.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 3, 2021 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 5:39 AM

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the update to 11.3.1 did not fix that.

I contacted apple support about this. As I expected, apple rejects any errors and should I contact the manufacturer of my sound interface. Very disappointing.

Similar questions

25 replies

May 9, 2021 12:40 AM in response to Markus Sander

I am having continuing problems with listening to audio output from my Mac mini through my USB 2.0 Audio Research DAC using Big Sur. The audio output is now stuttering.

I have a 2018 Mac mini. I use an Audio Research DAC 8 (USB). It worked beautifully with Mac OS 10.14.6. 

Big Sur has only caused me audio problems. Previously, with OS 11.1 and 11.2, I was unable to get any audio output via my DAC. Now with OS 11.3.1 I get audio but it is constantly stuttering and thus unlistenable.

I have tried rebooting, restarting, unplugging and changing ports, resetting the nvram and smc.

Interestingly my son's MacBook Air (apple chip) does not have this problem. If I plug the Apple chip Air into the DAC it plays normally.

I have contacted Apple Support - they couldn't help. I have contacted Audio Research - they blamed Apple.

Praying for a fix from Apple in an update soon.....

May 25, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Markus Sander

Sadly, I have the same problem. I'm using different audio interfaces and different DAWs but audio dropouts always appear. Checking the CPU in Logic Pro, it never overloads, so the problem is different. The message given from Logic Pro is "Error while trying to synchronize audio and MIDI so the problem could be the clock. I already experienced this problem before but I was able to solve it. Now I can't find a way out. I'm updating to 11.4 right now, I'll let you know. If someone finds a solution please share.

Jun 2, 2021 4:21 AM in response to Markus Sander

I have exactly the same problem.

MacBook Pro 13" Retina early 2015 - 2.7Ghz i5, 16GB RAM

OS 11.4

Occurs with two devices, both using generic 'USB Audio Codec' (neither has their 'own' driver):

Rega Fono Mini

ART USB Phono Plus

Both devices are used for connecting a Turntable via USB. Both have worked faultlessly for years.

Tried alternate cables, and both USB ports on the Mac

Same issue in both Audacity (tried multiple versions from 2.4.2 -> 3.0.2) and WavePad. Makes no difference if I use the internal SSD or a RAM disk to cache the recording.

Activity monitor shows no spikes in CPU/disk writes etc. Have also verified the SSD is fine using a disk read/write test application that shows its performance fine for applications requiring much faster disk writing than audio recording requires.

Tried full fresh re-install of the OS.

Very frustrating as pretty much the only 'serious' thing I use the machine for is importing my record collection.

Jun 11, 2021 11:12 AM in response to RobE73

Okay, so I 'fixed' the issue.

I logged a call with Apple, tried the usual troubleshooting steps, didn't really get anywhere. 11.4 still has the drop outs issue.

Solution: Set up a new volume, installed Catalina 10.15.7. and now have a dual boot setup. Works perfectly with my devices and the latest Audacity, no drop outs.

Jul 6, 2021 10:01 AM in response to Markus Sander

Late 2013 Mac Pro

128gb RAM

Xeon 6 core

Since 10.3, intermittent audio drops/stutters, almost always after a sleep, must reboot to resolve. Only affects my USB interfaces: Soundcraft Signature MTK 12. Tested against older Propellerheads Balance (2 different units), same issue. Switching to HDMI audio in my Asus monitors, no stutter. Internal to the Mac Pro, no stutter. Only on the USB Audio Interfaces.

On a fresh boot, issue doesn't appear (until this morning). If machine goes to sleep, audio drops every few seconds (youtube, itunes music, you name it) upon using audio after awakening. Rebooting was resolving issue, but as of this morning it continues after a reboot.

This is going to be a mess once I start recording again. Might have to downgrade back to Catalina.

Similar to RobE73, activity monitor shows no abnormal spikes/activity.

Jul 25, 2021 7:13 AM in response to Markus Sander

Count me in as well. I've had the exact same problem going all the way back to High Sierra. I had great hopes after upgrading to Big Sur 11.4 because the problem appeared to have gone away. Oh happy day!

After just upgrading to 11.5, it's back :(

My Mid-2014 Macbook Pro is connected to a Pro-ject Maia integrated amp via USB. I should note that when connected to my Schitt MAGNI 3+, I have no problems whatsoever. Of course, this points to my Pro-ject Maia being the problem, but their support blames Apple. <Sigh>

Aug 14, 2021 4:00 AM in response to Markus Sander

I had this same problem. Im running on a Macbook Pro M1 with Big Sur 11.3. I had my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 connected via a USB C Multifunction adapter. I had audio dropouts occasionally during playback through any media, even on Youtube. I just tried upgrading to 11.5 and it seems to have fixed the problem now. Hopefully it stays the same way.

USB audio dropouts on Big Sur 11.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.