Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer problem macOS Big Sur

Hello

I recently bought a Brother DCP-1602 to print via USB cable from my MBP running macOS Big Sur v11.3.

I was surprised to discover that this printer wasn’t listed when I tried to install it and have been unable to find the drivers online. Can anyone help?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 3, 2021 7:43 AM

8 replies

May 3, 2021 1:45 PM in response to andrewlima

Hi,

The Brother DCP-1602 appears to be a USB-only printer. If nothing else works, it could perhaps be worth testing a macOS Catalina 10.15 printer driver even under macOS Big Sur 11. It has been reported that macOS Catalina 10.15 drivers work with some models when Big Sur drivers are not offered.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp1602_us&os=10060

However, look upon this as a pure experiment. It may not work at all with your printer. There is always a certain risk involved with an experiment. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out. You may have to erase and reinstall everything on the computer. Data may be lost. A hardware problem is unlikely, but it is impossible to guarantee anything. Do not proceed unless you know what you are doing. In any case, make sure that at least three backup copies of important files are available.

Also, if may be a good idea to reset the printing system before any tests.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

May 3, 2021 2:12 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan,

Many thanks for the tip. I could make a clone of my HDD before running the experiment. But to be honest, given the potential major hassle, I’m thinking of donating the Brother, doing my research and buying a printer that is compatible my MBP. You’d think someone would have created a universal printer app by now. This is not the first time I have this issue. Thanks again anyway.

Printer problem macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.