Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to map the keys to the symbols on a keyboard on MacBook Air?

I recently bought an M1 MacBook Air in Spain. The keyboard has the Spanish characters, like ñ. I have changed the keyboard preference to "Spanish" in System Preferences

But the problem is that many keys dont match the keyboard.

For example, the "(" is above the 8 and the ")" is above the 9 on the keyboard.

But I want to type those characters, I have to use different keys.

For example, if I want an open bracket like this "(", I have to press a Shift+9 even thought the key shows a close bracket like this ")"

The same is for many keys that are not mapped the same as the symbol on the keyboard.

I have tried many combinations in the System Preferences menu, but find none that work.

Help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 3, 2021 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 11:03 AM

RickH_Oxford wrote: I have changed the keyboard preference to "Spanish" in System Preferences

That's your problem. Apple's keyboard requires the input source called "Spanish ISO". So if you add that one and remove "Spanish" everything should match.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

(Don't ask me why they have one called "Spanish" which does not match a keyboard anyone uses....)

There is another Apple keyboard which requires an input source called "Latin American," but I doubt you would have bought that in Spain.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 11:03 AM in response to RickH_Oxford

RickH_Oxford wrote: I have changed the keyboard preference to "Spanish" in System Preferences

That's your problem. Apple's keyboard requires the input source called "Spanish ISO". So if you add that one and remove "Spanish" everything should match.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

(Don't ask me why they have one called "Spanish" which does not match a keyboard anyone uses....)

There is another Apple keyboard which requires an input source called "Latin American," but I doubt you would have bought that in Spain.

How to map the keys to the symbols on a keyboard on MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.