Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine causing external drive to be read only

Running MACOS BigSur v11.2.3: Installed an New External "MyPAssport" 4TB drive, as soon as I turned on TIMEMACHINE, the entire external drive went to READ-ONLY mode.

I like to "click-drag" some other files to this drive from time to time, not relying on TM for all backups.

1- Is this a known error/problem with TM? Maybe its intended .....

2 - how does one turn this option off, if possible?

Posted on May 3, 2021 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 10:25 AM

TM being read only is the new normal. it is definitely intended. there is no way to "turn this off". it seems apple would like us to use TM disks for TM only. being read only does not affect TM functions. TM can still write to the disk. if you need more external storage, consider buying a portable HDD. they are relatively cheap now and are sufficient for most user's external storage needs.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 10:25 AM in response to scrappingtechiemom

TM being read only is the new normal. it is definitely intended. there is no way to "turn this off". it seems apple would like us to use TM disks for TM only. being read only does not affect TM functions. TM can still write to the disk. if you need more external storage, consider buying a portable HDD. they are relatively cheap now and are sufficient for most user's external storage needs.

May 3, 2021 11:14 AM in response to scrappingtechiemom

1. This is by design
  2. You don't want to. It was always a very bad idea to store other files on your Time Machine volume. You can still partition a disk to use it for both Time Machine and general purpose use, but even that is a bad idea. Hard drives are cheap, just buy a new one. If Time Machine gets confused, the easiest solution is to wipe it and rebuild from scratch. If you have your own files on there, that's going to be a problem.

May 3, 2021 10:52 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

THanks, I now have three externals (one is dead in the water, so I'm trying to use one of others). But another issue is when I'm trying to "cleanup" one of them.

Permissions is failing but checking permissions in system prefer.... its okay... allowing removable volumes to be accessed by NTFS for Mac software..... still won't let me "cleanup" one of these drives.

time machine causing external drive to be read only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.