You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch isn’t unlocking my iPhone

I have the new updates on the phone and watch. Apple Watch was working past few days in unlocking my iPhone. Today it randomly stopped working.

watch is on my wrist, wrist detection is on, I slide to unlock my phone and I’m requested for my iPhone unlock password. My watch still gives me the ‘push here to lock iPhone’ screen

whats going on?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 3, 2021 11:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 12:43 AM

Hi Mohseen87,

Please see: Unlock your iPhone with Apple Watch when you're wearing a face mask.

Cheers,

Jack

7 replies

May 6, 2021 7:34 PM in response to Jack-19

This is not helpful. Everyone keeps linking to the same page. Like the person who submitted the question, I have followed these instructions like 4 or 5 times and it just won’t work on my iphone. It DOES work on my iMac so I know it isn’t the watch that is the problem, but can’t figure out what is wrong. Would appreciate a suggestion if anyone has figured this out.

Jun 17, 2021 10:52 PM in response to Jack-19

How can this be an 'Apple recommended' reply when Jack clearly didn't read the post. The author and many others including me know how to set up this feature, have done so and had it work successfully. The issue is it has stopped working recently for no apparent reason. My phone presents the message: "Enter Passcode or Face ID to unlock with Apple Watch" - If I did either of those I would be unlocking WITH Passcode or Face ID and NOT Apple Watch. It would make more sense as a first time after restart message (though should then say "...to enable unlocking with Apple Watch."), but I get this every time - letting the phone lock on display timeout and trying again. (I tried resetting Face ID from scratch as had worked for someone else, but sadly didn't fix for me.)

Jun 27, 2021 1:23 PM in response to SpiralPeel

I have the same issue with a new Watch 6 and a year-old iMac running macOS 11.4. "Unlock with Apple Watch" was working fine until about 3 days ago when it just quit working for both the iMac and my iPhone 11. Have reset Face ID but that didn't fix the problem. Have verified all the settings on the recommended page, and turned Unlock with Apple Watch off, rebooted the iMac, then turned it back on -- same result. Appreciate any advice.

My Apple Watch isn’t unlocking my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.