Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to put a password on photos on imac

How do I put a password on my already imported photos on my laptop. Right now when I click the photo app all my imported photos from years back pop up. I want to require a password before any photos show up.

Imac 21.5

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 3, 2021 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 3:55 AM

It is hard to password protect Photos, because it is a part of the system. Your System Photos Library can be accessed from all applications (if you allow its for an app in Security &Privacy). The background processes need access to Photos at all times, even if you are not working with Photos. But this requires, that the volume with your system Photos Library is always mounted, once you sign into your user account. If you are having photos that need to be kept confidential, you could keep them in a separate Photos Library, that is not your system photos library and put this second library on an encrypted separate drive: Protect your Mac information with encryption - Apple Support

Or on a sparse bundle (as described by Tony) or simply on a separate drive, that you keep under lock and key in a strong box.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2021 3:55 AM in response to shayrl129

It is hard to password protect Photos, because it is a part of the system. Your System Photos Library can be accessed from all applications (if you allow its for an app in Security &Privacy). The background processes need access to Photos at all times, even if you are not working with Photos. But this requires, that the volume with your system Photos Library is always mounted, once you sign into your user account. If you are having photos that need to be kept confidential, you could keep them in a separate Photos Library, that is not your system photos library and put this second library on an encrypted separate drive: Protect your Mac information with encryption - Apple Support

Or on a sparse bundle (as described by Tony) or simply on a separate drive, that you keep under lock and key in a strong box.

May 4, 2021 12:52 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Another option would be to create an encrypted disk image, and keep your photos library in that.

You would then have to mount the disk image and put in the password before you could open the photos app. Bear in mind though that if you ever forgot your password for the encrypted drive, the photos would be lost forever (unless backed up somewhere else). No recovery would be possible by anyone.

Finally the app "applocker" allows you to password protect individual apps. As I understand it the free version allows you to password protect one app - so if you only need it for photos app, that might work for you. This would NOT stop someone taking a copy of your photos library and opening it on a different mac, so if someone were determined to see your photos they still could. However, it would prevent casual browsing of your photos.

how to put a password on photos on imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.