Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging a MacBook Pro with and without a dongle

Does the charging efficiency change if I charge my Macbook Pro with the USB C port on the dongle, instead of the USB C port on the Macbook Pro? If so, which one is more efficient?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 3, 2021 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 11:01 PM

Hello,

It is always better and Efficient to charge your Mac with the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on the Mac directly using the supplied original charger. But if you want to charge it with a dongle make sure to be using the USB-C port on the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter as this is designed for power delivery through that port to the Mac . But, if you are using any third party dongles/adapters do avoid it as 3rd part dongles/adapters for charging can damage you Mac.

I tried using the AmazonBasics digital AV multipart adapter ( which costed less that half of the price of apple one) and it forked fine for a week and then my Mac stopped charging. Then after a few minutes the computer got hot and turned off. Then I took it to the Apple Authorised Service centre and got it checked. They said that the motherboard was fried up due to using a bad third party ( non-apple ) accessory. I had to get it repaired by paying for it ( payed almost 1300 USD ) for getting it repaired. I wa like my heart was broken.

So, don't use any kind of third party accessory especially for charging the Mac .

Hope this helps you.

Thanks you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 11:01 PM in response to dlim91

Hello,

It is always better and Efficient to charge your Mac with the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on the Mac directly using the supplied original charger. But if you want to charge it with a dongle make sure to be using the USB-C port on the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter as this is designed for power delivery through that port to the Mac . But, if you are using any third party dongles/adapters do avoid it as 3rd part dongles/adapters for charging can damage you Mac.

I tried using the AmazonBasics digital AV multipart adapter ( which costed less that half of the price of apple one) and it forked fine for a week and then my Mac stopped charging. Then after a few minutes the computer got hot and turned off. Then I took it to the Apple Authorised Service centre and got it checked. They said that the motherboard was fried up due to using a bad third party ( non-apple ) accessory. I had to get it repaired by paying for it ( payed almost 1300 USD ) for getting it repaired. I wa like my heart was broken.

So, don't use any kind of third party accessory especially for charging the Mac .

Hope this helps you.

Thanks you.

Charging a MacBook Pro with and without a dongle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.