Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Spaces Keyboard Shortcut

I open let us say 3 spaces. Desktop1 has safari 'not maximised'. Desktop 2 has mail 'not maximised' and finally Desktop3 has 'Notes' not maximised'.

The spaces show up as names Desktop 1, Desktop 2 and Desktop 3

I am able to assign individual keyboard shortcuts to switch to Desktop 1, Desktop 2 or Desktop 3.

However, if I maximise all three, then the names of the spaces changes to Safari, Mail and Notes.

I am now unable to assign any keyboard shortcut to spaces with names Safari, Mail and Notes. How can I do this.

Can someone guide me as I do almost all my work with all apps maximised (weak eyes)

Thanks

Ranvir

Posted on May 4, 2021 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 9:07 PM

Thanks Axel. Used your trick to fill up the screen with auto hiding the dock. I am now able to assign keyboard shortcuts which is important to me as I keep switching between spaces. Appreciate your help!!

Similar questions

3 replies

May 4, 2021 6:31 PM in response to rjcq

Hello Ranvir,

When your apps are assigned to a desktop (1,2,3 etc) then they are NOT in FULL SCREEN. I believe that you are addressing FULL SCREEN as Maximized.

When you run an app in FULL SCREEN then the app moves out of the assigned Desktop Space and assumes a new SPACE with its name. This space is temporary until the app is either shut down or removed from Full Screen. This is the reason you are not going to be able to assign a shortcut to a named space.

Since Keyboard shortcuts for spaces/desktops are important to you, I recommend that you use the ZOOM feature (Window) for the app until the app fills the screen. This will just short of Full Screen. This will keep the app in the same space/desktop and your shortcuts will work correctly.

Axel F.

Macbook Spaces Keyboard Shortcut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.