Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting Apple Music files to Mp3

I've converted music to mp3 in the past, but now when I look in the convert menu under File, the "Create Mp3 version" option is greyed out. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 4, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 11:36 AM

Where are the songs you want to convert coming from?

Tracks from the Apple Music subscription service are DRM protected and cannot be converted to another format as that would break the protection and allow rampant piracy.

For songs purchased from the iTunes Store, a physical CD or other non protected source, make sure MP3 Encoder is selected in Music->Preferences->Files->Import Settings->Import Using

Then try the conversion form the file menu again.

Yes, having them fully downloaded is also required.

Guess I took too long to answer. Glad you worked it out.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2021 11:36 AM in response to Stevethebob

Where are the songs you want to convert coming from?

Tracks from the Apple Music subscription service are DRM protected and cannot be converted to another format as that would break the protection and allow rampant piracy.

For songs purchased from the iTunes Store, a physical CD or other non protected source, make sure MP3 Encoder is selected in Music->Preferences->Files->Import Settings->Import Using

Then try the conversion form the file menu again.

Yes, having them fully downloaded is also required.

Guess I took too long to answer. Glad you worked it out.

Converting Apple Music files to Mp3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.