Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete “header_checks.system_default” in the Relocated Items folder?

I have 11 "Previously Located Items" folders in User > Shared Folder. The one items they all have in common is “header_checks.system_default” Can I delete this?

Also, it seems that the Relocated Items folder on my desktop that appeared after upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur is replicating once monthly?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 4, 2021 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 7:43 PM

Hi WildBill,

You can safely delete all Relocated Items that appear in /Users/Shared, as well as any shortcuts to them that appear on your desktop.

Relocated Items should only appear after you run a macOS update. It contains files that were previously installed before the update.

8 replies

May 4, 2021 10:46 PM in response to WildBill

Hey WildBill! (Cool name), yeah, after the Big Sur upgrade, I noticed the same, because all files that used to be stored on the root drive (Macintosh) can no longer be stored there, so are moved to the non-read-only partition (Macintosh Data) where all your data is stored.

I thought this was only a one time thing after installing Big Sur, but have noticed it again after a Big Sur update as well. So, although files can’t be stored there anymore, I suspect system files may be being placed there for whatever reason. Initially after installing Big Sur, I’d check for any personal data within the folders, but now, most likely it’s just un-needed system data. Won’t hurt to check though!

Here’s a reference if it’ll help:

If you see a Relocated Items folder on your Mac after upgrading macOS:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/a-relocated-items-folder-mac-upgrading-macos-mchl8ae423a3/mac

I was mystified as first as well when I saw it, hope that helps!

May 6, 2021 8:12 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Hey Encryptor5000 (Another cool name). Thanks for that, but not necessarily, sometimes I type, or write (or think) so much I get lost and forget where I was, as others do probably trying to read it, thank you for the compliment though, whatever works and helps, is cool in my book, as the people willing to help, so thanks!

Can I delete “header_checks.system_default” in the Relocated Items folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.