Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Install Big Sur on a 2019 MacBook Pro

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019) and have been trying to update from Catalina to Big Sur. I have initiated the install many times, but it never completes. Has anyone else had this problem, and were you able to fix it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2021 6:43 AM

5 replies

May 5, 2021 7:08 AM in response to sb5ct

sb5ct wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019) and have been trying to update from Catalina to Big Sur. I have initiated the install many times, but it never completes. Has anyone else had this problem, and were you able to fix it?

You do not state exactly where you are failing...?

Big Sur states that you will need 35.5 GB of free storage when upgrading from High Sierra or newer, and 44.5 GB when upgrading from an older versions.

Boot into SafeBoot mode before you launch the installer if necessary to proceed.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

May 5, 2021 10:19 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have enough storage space available for the update, and I haven't been getting any error messages. My computer goes through the whole installation, but when it restarts after installation, my iOS is still catalina. Here are some screen grabs of the installation process.

Then after the computer restarts, it's still running catalina.

Unable to Install Big Sur on a 2019 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.