Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes gift cards and iCloud payment

Why can’t I choose to have my iCloud storage account paid for with my credit card on file instead of my iTunes “gift card” my daughter got me for Christmas? My last gift card got eaten up by my 99 cent monthly charge! I am hesitant to activate another “gift card” or increase my iCloud storage to $2.99 a month till I get this figured out. If this is how it is and I can’t do anything about it I will not be getting anymore gift cards and activating them just to pay my bill!

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 2:10 PM

See: How App Store and iTunes Store purchases are billed. Click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT201359

"Which payment method is charged?

When you buy items or pay for subscriptions, Apple automatically attempts to charge your payment methods in this order:

1. Apple attempts to use your Apple ID balance (where your cards go) to cover the full amount.

2. If you don't have Apple ID balance, you don't have enough to cover the full amount, or an item cannot be paid for with Apple ID balance, Apple attempts to charge your primary payment method. The primary payment method is at the top of the list in Settings on your iPhone. You can control which payment method is at the top of the list.

3. If there's a problem with the primary payment method, or if the primary payment method can't be charged for the full remaining amount, Apple attempts to charge your other payment methods in order from top to bottom. If none of them can be charged, Apple may try again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 2:10 PM in response to pscas3

See: How App Store and iTunes Store purchases are billed. Click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT201359

"Which payment method is charged?

When you buy items or pay for subscriptions, Apple automatically attempts to charge your payment methods in this order:

1. Apple attempts to use your Apple ID balance (where your cards go) to cover the full amount.

2. If you don't have Apple ID balance, you don't have enough to cover the full amount, or an item cannot be paid for with Apple ID balance, Apple attempts to charge your primary payment method. The primary payment method is at the top of the list in Settings on your iPhone. You can control which payment method is at the top of the list.

3. If there's a problem with the primary payment method, or if the primary payment method can't be charged for the full remaining amount, Apple attempts to charge your other payment methods in order from top to bottom. If none of them can be charged, Apple may try again.

May 5, 2021 2:36 PM in response to Limnos

That is so wrong! You should have a CHOICE of preferred payment for your iCloud account, Apple’s way takes your GIFT MONEY first. It doesn’t give you a choice to take the credit card associated with the account first! That makes me not want iTunes cards as gifts from anyone anymore, and then they will be forced to use my credit card anyway......so tell me, what makes the difference!?

iTunes gift cards and iCloud payment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.