Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i add up my income...?

I am just starting out with numbers and i need a sheet adding up my time done at work and how many £ i have made! i have columns for date, time started, time finished, total hrs, running total and the last for time done times rate of income (£12). as i have it at the moment this is fine for full hours but if i have a half hour it sees .30 (minutes) as .3 of 10 not minutes. (hope this makes sense) so 7 & 1/2 should be £90 but it becomes £87.60.

Thanks for reading and hope it makes sense.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 5, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 12:07 PM

Try retyping each one with a colon instead of a dot.

Where are you that has 19.08 as a format for time? I was trying to set up a document with a localization that uses that format but I didn't find one.

9 replies

May 6, 2021 7:06 AM in response to travelbugs

Here is an example of a typical way you might approach this in Numbers.

Enter the time in and time out with the cells formatted as Date & Time:

Then you can use a simple subtraction to calculate a Duration, a special data format in Numbers that measures elapsed time, as opposed to a point in time. Using the Duration format allows Numbers to take care of complicated date math "under the hood":

The formula in D2 of the example is simply =C2−B2.

Then, to calculate earnings you can use the DUR2HOURS function to convert the Duration to a decimal number that you can then multiply by the hourly rate.

The formula in E2 of the example:

=DUR2HOURS(D2)*Table 2::$A$2

SG

May 6, 2021 1:19 PM in response to SGIII

I entered the "DUR2Hours" and got big red !! ticking off. the total hrs cell is "finish" cell minus "start" cell, running total is yet to sort (might well get rid of it) but that will be done later. So the maths i want it do is £12 x total hrs in each row, all on one table and at the end of the month i will save a pdf and send to the boss.

In your formula you name the cell by letter and number, when i do this it changes it to first line of text and "invoice no" & "date" as per the first entrance in each row or column, don't know if it matters but have tried to change it, but no joy! So am i making a hash of it?

May 6, 2021 10:59 PM in response to travelbugs

travelbugs wrote:

In your formula you name the cell by letter and number, when i do this it changes it to first line of text and "invoice no" & "date" as per the first entrance in each row or column, don't know if it matters but have tried to change it, but no joy! So am i making a hash of it?

Don't give up. In Numbers > Preferences in your menu just uncheck 'Use header names as labels' and you will see references to cells as letter-number.

And make sure you are entering things that Numbers recognizes as Date & Time. Look lower left to confirm.

SG

May 5, 2021 10:44 PM in response to travelbugs

Does your table calculate the "total hrs" by subtracting "time started" from "time finished"? From your description of the problem it sounds like you are entering the total hrs by hand.

If you are entering the value .30 into a cell that is not formatted as a duration, it is a decimal number, not a duration. If you are treating the number as "hours", the decimal number 0.3 would be 3/10 of an hour = 18 minutes. The decimal number 0.5 would be 30 minutes (1/2 an hour).

If you are using a duration format for the cell, an entry of 30m or .5h would be a duration of half an hour. If you set the top unit of the duration format to be hours, a decimal entry of 0.5 would convert to 0.5 hours.

May 6, 2021 4:30 PM in response to travelbugs

SGIII showed you how to use date&time and duration values. The numbers in your table such as 7.30, 15.45, etc. are not times of day or durations, they are decimal numbers. 7.30 does not mean 7 hours and 30 minutes, it means the integer 7 plus the decimal 30/100. Because they are not times of day or durations, using them in functions that operate on times of day or durations will give errors.

May 7, 2021 10:50 AM in response to SGIII

I have clicked on the cells with the times in. In format / cell / date format / date and time, set date too 05/01/21, time 19.08. it still shows in the lower left (Actual) as decimal not time! Thanks i have got it to get rid of the cell tittles it had before and now a more normal option. Thanks for your help, i just need a little more....

How can i add up my income...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.