Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the rest of the Big Sur install file?

When I try to download the Big Sur file I only get a 28MB file. This can not be right.

I'm trying to do a clean install to a SD Card (as I have down for AT LEAST the last three upgrades).

I don't know how to get it. Yes...the macBook is eligible for the upgrade.

Why do you have to be a freaking ROCKET SCIENTIST every single time an upgrade comes up? I don't get it.

How do you get the FULL INSTALL FILE?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2021 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 2:46 AM

Point # 1 - There are unconfirmed reports that upgrading from earlier version of macOS will download a " Stub " of Big Sur. This " Stub " maybe about 25 MB is size and is not the Full Installer. If so, run this Application and it should pull down the remainder of Big Sur and commence the Installation.

Once Big Sur is installed on this computer - then you can download the Full 12.24 GB Big Sur and commence the installation to the external Drive(s) of choice.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 2:46 AM in response to John.Orban.who.lives.in.USA

Point # 1 - There are unconfirmed reports that upgrading from earlier version of macOS will download a " Stub " of Big Sur. This " Stub " maybe about 25 MB is size and is not the Full Installer. If so, run this Application and it should pull down the remainder of Big Sur and commence the Installation.

Once Big Sur is installed on this computer - then you can download the Full 12.24 GB Big Sur and commence the installation to the external Drive(s) of choice.

Where is the rest of the Big Sur install file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.