Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos App stuck on Updating

Photos app version 6.0 (340.0.221) on Big Sur 11.3.1. I exported and removed all my photos from the Mac and from iCloud online and from all my other devices (iPad and iPhone) so I basically have zero photos anywhere. But even now, the Photos app continues to show "Updating" and it seems stuck there. I deleted the original photos library file, created a new one, and used that as a system file, even then, no help. I have 1.3 TB (yes TB) available on iCloud - which ideally shouldnt even matter because I have zero photos at this point.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on May 6, 2021 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 12:07 PM

Hello alankarmisra,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having updating your Photos library on your Mac even though you've deleted all photos from iCloud. Do you also show updating on your iPhone and iPad in the Photos app, or only on the Mac? What about if you visit the iCloud website, do you see any photos remaining there? If so, it could still be removing the photos from the system.

If you don't show updating on your other devices and no photos on the iCloud website, complete the following steps to see if they help. Be sure you're connected to power and a strong Wi-Fi connection prior to starting:

Keep us posted on the results.

Take care.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 12:07 PM in response to alankarmisra

Hello alankarmisra,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having updating your Photos library on your Mac even though you've deleted all photos from iCloud. Do you also show updating on your iPhone and iPad in the Photos app, or only on the Mac? What about if you visit the iCloud website, do you see any photos remaining there? If so, it could still be removing the photos from the system.

If you don't show updating on your other devices and no photos on the iCloud website, complete the following steps to see if they help. Be sure you're connected to power and a strong Wi-Fi connection prior to starting:

Keep us posted on the results.

Take care.

May 7, 2021 11:57 PM in response to alankarmisra

OK

Then the next tests are intended to find if this problem is system wide, or just in one user account.

1 - Start the mac in safe mode? Does the problem persist while in safe mode. Try again after re-starting in normal mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

(It will take longer than normal to start up)

2 - Try creating a new user account in system settings, log into that user account, and see if the problem exists in that account.

May 7, 2021 9:08 PM in response to TammyW_03

Tried to put one image on the iPhone and found iPhone and iPad sync to be Ok. iCloud online has one image too as expected. It's only the Mac that is stuck on updating. I connected to power, turned off iCloud photos, restarted the Mac, turned the settings back on, and it starts with "Updating..." again and gets stuck there. I don't have any active VPN connection. Next steps?

May 8, 2021 12:09 AM in response to alankarmisra

I deleted the original photos library file, created a new one, and used that as a system file, even then, no help.

Where exactly are you seeing the "Updating" message? If a library is empty and not syncing with iCloud, there is no status bar and no "Photos" tab. Some processes will already be trying to update the library, for example the face detection will be waiting for some photos to scan and be showing the message to connect the Mac to power.

When you enable iCloud Photos for the empty library, you will see an "updating" message, which will be stuck, as long as the library is completely empty. Try to import a few photos, so Photos can initialise the waiting processes.

May 8, 2021 1:41 AM in response to alankarmisra

Try to take a regular photo with the camera as well, so you are not just having a screenshot in iCloud. screenshots are handled differently.

How is your Mac connected to the internet? Is it connected to Wi-Fi or are you using a cellular Hotspot? Try to connect to Wi-Fi, and make sure, that no antivirus filter or firewall can intercept the connection to Apple's cloud servers.

Mac Photos App stuck on Updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.