Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shrink text box to fit content?

Is there a way to have Pages automatically shrink a text box around the text it contains?

Posted on May 6, 2021 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 1:17 PM

Unless this feature has been recently added, no.

I tried a workaround similar to one I've used to place a Numbers style table in a Pages document, maintaining its style and properties:

The box was originally about as wide as a single word. It expanded horizontally as I entered the first line, and vertically when I pressed return to start the second line, then expanded more as that line became longer than the first, and downward as I added another return and continued.

The box also shrunk vertically when I removed the first lins (and the return at the end of that line.

But when I selected the box, copied it, then pasted it into a Pages word processing document,:

The pasted text box showed handles at the corners and at the middle of the sides and top and bottom boundaries, rather than the two handles of a Number text box.

Adding text required dragging a handle down to expand the box before adding the text above, and expanding the box manually again to reveal the text that had caused the warning box seen above.

So, as mentioned above, unless there's been a change, manual adjustment of text box size is necessary in Pages.

You can post a Feature Enhancement request directly to Apple using the Provide Pages Feedback menu choice in the Pages menu.

The Pages development tean will not see a request placed here in this user-to0user community.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2021 1:17 PM in response to adsi22

Unless this feature has been recently added, no.

I tried a workaround similar to one I've used to place a Numbers style table in a Pages document, maintaining its style and properties:

The box was originally about as wide as a single word. It expanded horizontally as I entered the first line, and vertically when I pressed return to start the second line, then expanded more as that line became longer than the first, and downward as I added another return and continued.

The box also shrunk vertically when I removed the first lins (and the return at the end of that line.

But when I selected the box, copied it, then pasted it into a Pages word processing document,:

The pasted text box showed handles at the corners and at the middle of the sides and top and bottom boundaries, rather than the two handles of a Number text box.

Adding text required dragging a handle down to expand the box before adding the text above, and expanding the box manually again to reveal the text that had caused the warning box seen above.

So, as mentioned above, unless there's been a change, manual adjustment of text box size is necessary in Pages.

You can post a Feature Enhancement request directly to Apple using the Provide Pages Feedback menu choice in the Pages menu.

The Pages development tean will not see a request placed here in this user-to0user community.

Regards,

Barry

Shrink text box to fit content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.