Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get sound

iMac 27" OS 10.15.7 has no sound coming out of speakers. No Alerts, no music, no websiute sound, no Zoom call sound, etc - nothing. Only thing that has changed in the past 24 hours is the moving of my computer from the left side of my desk to the right side. Only one plug in and that's an external hard drive for saving items. System Preferences - Sound displays Sound Effects as all greyed out, Output as greyed out, and Input with no devices. I'm stuck. Help?

Richard Hayden’s iMac (5) 21.5" 2009

Posted on May 6, 2021 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 1:42 PM

Hello rahimac,

We would like to see how we can help you with your iMac speakers not working. Follow the steps in this link and reach out to Apple should the issue persist: If the internal speakers on your Mac aren't working

Cheers!

2 replies

May 8, 2021 11:11 AM in response to sterling r

Thank s! I don't know if it worked or not. When I had been in Specifications initially, iMac Speakers Type: Built-in was not listed. What was listed was only Name/Game Room and Type/Air Play and they were greyed out (non-actionable).

What did occur is after I had shut the machine down and this morning logged on and read your message, there was sound. I went back to Specifications/Sound and found Name/iMac Speakers and Type: Built-in were listed along with Name/Game Room and Type/Air Play and they were NOT greyed out. Only thing I can think is that having shut down and later signed on the computer's system must have reset to a default status of Speakers working. Hmmm.

That said, I'm quite certain that if I had had to use the instructions you offered that it would have corrected whatever was wrong.

Many thanks for considering this matter for me.

Cannot get sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.