Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New version of Photos (sw: Bilder)?

On start of Photos on my iMac (running macOS Catalina - 10.15.7) I get a message saying: "Not supported library... This library is from a newer version of Photos. Upgrade appl to be able to open library."

Previous use of the library was on my new MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur (11.3.1 - Apple M1).

Is this what causes the problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 7:58 AM

Hi

Yes. The library format is specific to the version of photos. And while photos can upgrade the library from an older version to work with a newer version, it is not possible to go in the other direction.

There is a way to downgrade, but you have to use iCloud. Essentially you sync the library with ICloud using your Big Sur machine, and then create a new empty library on your Catalina machine, and sync that also with iCloud.

However, if your imac is capable of the upgrade to Big Sur, then that would be a better solution.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 7:58 AM in response to erikno

Hi

Yes. The library format is specific to the version of photos. And while photos can upgrade the library from an older version to work with a newer version, it is not possible to go in the other direction.

There is a way to downgrade, but you have to use iCloud. Essentially you sync the library with ICloud using your Big Sur machine, and then create a new empty library on your Catalina machine, and sync that also with iCloud.

However, if your imac is capable of the upgrade to Big Sur, then that would be a better solution.

New version of Photos (sw: Bilder)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.