Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You do not have permission to save files to this location.

Since upgrading to 11.3.1, anything I try to save on my Mac give the error -You do not have permission to save files to this location. I can open and save sometimes, but I downloaded a CSV and I can't save it as an .xlsx, or anything else? If I open a xlsx and change it, I can't save that either?

Posted on May 7, 2021 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 9:16 AM

The permissions are set to read write for me and everyone, I am the only user so that is moot, but the permissions haven't changed from that perspective. I did try to change them and then change them back and that didn't help.

Similar questions

6 replies

May 7, 2021 9:14 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have excel open and I am trying to change the extension from CSV to XLSX on the desktop. The reason to change from CSV to Xlsx is so that I dont have to reminded every time I open the file to change it, but that isn't the point. The point is that I can't save files to my own folders. I can't save to the desktop or any place on my MAC, I can save to cloud but that is not my preferred place to store my files. This just started after I upgraded to Big Sur - 11.3.1.

May 7, 2021 9:00 AM in response to Drose6FL

Where are you saving the file? Somewhere in your home folder, or outside your home folder?

If it is in your home folder, you seem to have some permission problems on your home or that folder.

In Finder, open the folder where you are trying to save the file and Get Info (cmd-I). What does it show for the permissions at the bottom of the window.

Why would you change a .csv extension to .xlsx? That doesn't magically make it an Excel Workbook. If you need it to be an Excel Workbook, open it in Excel and save it as an Excel Workbook.

You do not have permission to save files to this location.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.