Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format external hard drive settings

Having trouble finding an article that explains the different settings for formatting an external hard drive (ex. WD Elements 4 TB). Using the external drive for video editing: raw footage, project files (Premiere and/or Avid), Avid MXF media, etc.

Format: I've heard that Mac OS Extended - Journaled is the best for performance if the drive. The drive will be used on a MacBook Pro. Would I choose a different setting for MacPro 2013 ("trash can"), iMac 2020 or earlier, or iMac 2021 (M1 chip)?

Scheme: Should I use GUID Partition Map? I wouldn't be booting from the hard drive.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 7, 2021 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 2:26 PM

1. That is fine. Sill format to APFS even if it is a HDD and not a SSD. APFS is Apple File System which is newer and more efficient. You are correct it will not be used on macOS older than 10.13.
  2. Time Machine can also be formatted to APFS. No need to use the GUID method. I use Time Machine external drive with APFS, Encrypted and without issues.

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 2:26 PM in response to ykt28403

1. That is fine. Sill format to APFS even if it is a HDD and not a SSD. APFS is Apple File System which is newer and more efficient. You are correct it will not be used on macOS older than 10.13.
  2. Time Machine can also be formatted to APFS. No need to use the GUID method. I use Time Machine external drive with APFS, Encrypted and without issues.

Axel F.

May 8, 2021 12:39 PM in response to Axel Foley

1.) It won't be on my laptop but on someone else's: MacBook Pro, I think, 2019, probably OS 10.14 but maybe 10.15.

So, APFS, not OS Extended - Journaled? It's a mechanical external hard drive, not solid state.

I'm totally unfamiliar with APFS, so I read this article. As long as the drive won't be used on Mac OS older than 10.13, it's the better way to go?

https://www.howtogeek.com/331042/whats-the-difference-between-apfs-macos-extended-hfs-and-exfat/

2.) We have a 2nd external hard drive which is going to be a Time Machine drive. The Time Machine drive has to be OS Extended Journaled, correct? Should we use GUID Partition map?

Format external hard drive settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.