You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failing Fusion Drive

I am running Catalina 10.15.7 on an imac 18.3. When I tried to upgrade the operating system I got a SMART error message which which said that the fusion drive was failing. I tried using the utilities first aid which seemed to complete its function but I still get the error message. Currently the Fusion Drive show a sub drive called Container Disk 2 which is split into a Macintosh HD and a Macintosh HD data. Is there a fix for this problem?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 7, 2021 12:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 1:46 PM

Captainspires wrote:

Is there a fix for this problem?

Not that you can do. Disk First Aid only repairs the file system, which is the logical organization of data on disk.

If you are getting a SMART failure, you will need to take the computer to an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider for repair. You can't fix this on your own.

More importantly, your data is at great risk. You need to drop everything make sure you have a good Time Machine backup.

Do this now.

Then call Apple and schedule your repair.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2021 1:46 PM in response to Captainspires

Captainspires wrote:

Is there a fix for this problem?

Not that you can do. Disk First Aid only repairs the file system, which is the logical organization of data on disk.

If you are getting a SMART failure, you will need to take the computer to an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider for repair. You can't fix this on your own.

More importantly, your data is at great risk. You need to drop everything make sure you have a good Time Machine backup.

Do this now.

Then call Apple and schedule your repair.

Failing Fusion Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.