📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting images to black and white

I want to download images and conver t to do.them to black and white, to draw on them other things. Is there a way?

Posted on May 7, 2021 10:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 1:51 AM

If you need apps for your Pencil, there are plenty of third party apps compatible with the Pencil

Here's a short and incomplete list of available third party Pencil apps that MAY have photo/image editing tools included to convert images to black & white and you can do other things to the photos/images.

Check them out in the iOS App Store.

Sketching/Drawing/Painting Apps

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Sketch

Adobe Fresco

Adobe Lightroom CC ( maybe purely just for photo/image editing/correction )

Darkroom ( maybe purely just for photo/image editing/correction )

Affinity Photo

Affinity Designer

ArtStudio Pro

ArtRage

Art Set 4/5

AutoDesk SketchBook Pro

Brushes

Brushes Redux

Charcoal

Clip Studio Paint

ColorBox Pro/Extended

Colored Pencil

Concepts

ibisPaint/ibisPaint X

Infinite Painter

Inkist

Inspire Pro

Interactive Sketchbook ( purely a sketch/drawing app, no painting )

iPocket Draw

Linea

Lori Pro

Medibang Paint

Moleskine Journal

Moleskine Flow

Procreate

Pixelmator

Paintstorm Studio

Realistic Paint Studio

Tayasui Sketches/Sketches Pro/Sketches School

Vectornator Pro X

Water Color Pencil

Best I can do for you.

You need to do your own further research in the iOS App Store.

You would need to look at the descriptions of these apps for yourself and determine which app/s will work best for what you wish to do with photos/images and what app/s would, potentially, work best for you.

All of the apps listed above should be able to alter/manipulate images as part of their feature set, but I am not sure which app/s can actually do image correction//color correction/color desautartion within the app/s.

I know, initially, you can start with pure image editing within the iOS Photos app, first, to turn an image into black & white OR grayscale, then import the image into all of these apps, that I have referenced, to do further editing/manipulation of the photos/images.

Best of Luck to You!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2021 1:51 AM in response to MarioSten

If you need apps for your Pencil, there are plenty of third party apps compatible with the Pencil

Here's a short and incomplete list of available third party Pencil apps that MAY have photo/image editing tools included to convert images to black & white and you can do other things to the photos/images.

Check them out in the iOS App Store.

Sketching/Drawing/Painting Apps

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Sketch

Adobe Fresco

Adobe Lightroom CC ( maybe purely just for photo/image editing/correction )

Darkroom ( maybe purely just for photo/image editing/correction )

Affinity Photo

Affinity Designer

ArtStudio Pro

ArtRage

Art Set 4/5

AutoDesk SketchBook Pro

Brushes

Brushes Redux

Charcoal

Clip Studio Paint

ColorBox Pro/Extended

Colored Pencil

Concepts

ibisPaint/ibisPaint X

Infinite Painter

Inkist

Inspire Pro

Interactive Sketchbook ( purely a sketch/drawing app, no painting )

iPocket Draw

Linea

Lori Pro

Medibang Paint

Moleskine Journal

Moleskine Flow

Procreate

Pixelmator

Paintstorm Studio

Realistic Paint Studio

Tayasui Sketches/Sketches Pro/Sketches School

Vectornator Pro X

Water Color Pencil

Best I can do for you.

You need to do your own further research in the iOS App Store.

You would need to look at the descriptions of these apps for yourself and determine which app/s will work best for what you wish to do with photos/images and what app/s would, potentially, work best for you.

All of the apps listed above should be able to alter/manipulate images as part of their feature set, but I am not sure which app/s can actually do image correction//color correction/color desautartion within the app/s.

I know, initially, you can start with pure image editing within the iOS Photos app, first, to turn an image into black & white OR grayscale, then import the image into all of these apps, that I have referenced, to do further editing/manipulation of the photos/images.

Best of Luck to You!

May 8, 2021 4:13 PM in response to MarioSten

Hi, Mario!

Thanks for reaching out in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you want to know how to edit pictures on your iPad. We are happy to provide you with some in formation!

We see you're most interested in converting color photos to black and white, and being able to draw and write on the images. These two tasks, among other adjustments, can be done in the Photos app on your iPad. Check out the Apple Support article Edit photos and videos on iPad - Apple Support, which will give you more details on how to edit your pictures.

Happy creating!

May 8, 2021 6:21 PM in response to MarioSten

Plenty of image editing controls in the default iOS Photos app to turn a color image into and black & white image.

Also, many of the popular sketching/drawing/painting apps have controls/menu options to alter imported images, in the app, as well.

What year and model iPad do you have/own?

The “A” model number can be found on aluminium back of your iPad in small print right under the larger bold print “iPad”.

What iOS/iPadOS version is this iPad, currently, running?

Are you using an Pencil with your iPad?

May 9, 2021 2:13 AM in response to MarioSten

Two other pure image editing/correction apps I forgot to mention to look at.

No Pencil supoort, just image correction, but may also be something to consider.

Fliterstorm ( Neue or Pro )

Afterlight

Both of the above have photo/image filters for black & white photo/image conversion

Maybe look at Photoshop Express, too!

Good Luck!

Converting images to black and white

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.