Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware

I'm getting absolutely nowhere trying to remove malware from my Mac. Apple don't seem to acknowledge that malware can affect a Mac, it is not possible in their view!! Hence, I can find no help on the apple website. Apple are in denial!!

"11369456502869286584 wants access to control Safari" and "computer low on memory" messages annoyingly keeps popping up whenever Safari is open. I have tried to remove the malware but to no avail, this has been going on for weeks. There have been a few OS updates since but they haven't helped. I am running the latest Big Sur 11.3.1.

If anyone else has this problem, comments would be appreciated, but if you too get nowhere, this might help you - I have transferred all of my browser bookmarks to Google Chrome. Chrome is now my default browser. If I could delete Safari I would!!! Problem solved, but I'm sure the malware is still there in the background. It just doesn't manifest itself because I have given up on Safari. Not the most robust on "work arounds", but it works for me.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 8, 2021 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 2:20 AM

1. Remove adware installed on your Mac..

Run the latest release of Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware/adware, if installed on your Mac.

For instructions: Install Malwarebytes for Mac v4      Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac

Click the “FREE DOWNLOAD” button.

Click the “Scan ” button. Once done, quit Malwarebytes for Mac.

Restart the computer and relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Scan for Malware again.

Additional steps  if necessary.

2. Reset search engine:    https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/customize-your-search-ibrwe75c2a3c/mac

3. Reset  Homepage.   https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/set-your-homepage-ibrw1020/mac 

4. Remove unknown extensions:  Safari > Preferences > Extensions

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 2:20 AM in response to Southpaw Golfer

1. Remove adware installed on your Mac..

Run the latest release of Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware/adware, if installed on your Mac.

For instructions: Install Malwarebytes for Mac v4      Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac

Click the “FREE DOWNLOAD” button.

Click the “Scan ” button. Once done, quit Malwarebytes for Mac.

Restart the computer and relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Scan for Malware again.

Additional steps  if necessary.

2. Reset search engine:    https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/customize-your-search-ibrwe75c2a3c/mac

3. Reset  Homepage.   https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/set-your-homepage-ibrw1020/mac 

4. Remove unknown extensions:  Safari > Preferences > Extensions

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

May 8, 2021 1:20 AM in response to Southpaw Golfer

When it popup click deny. This means your Mac OS is blocking a potential harmful app to take control.

1. First, go to System Preferences Security & Privacy » Privacy Tab » Automation (left side panel) and see if you find reference of "11369456502869286584" or something unsual.
  2. If you have Safari extensions downloaded from the web delete them.
  3. Search "11369456502869286584" inside the User folder Library and also inside System folder Library.
  4. Open Activity Monitor, select the Memory tab, click to order by size and check if you see some unknown app or process consuming a lot.

Let me know if you find something

Btw, Apple acknowledge about malware, here you can read some tips:

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

What is malware on Mac? - Apple Support

Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support

Ways to avoid malware and harmful apps on Mac - Apple Support

Hope this helps and solves your question. Do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.

May 8, 2021 1:29 AM in response to Southpaw Golfer

POST-HOC EDIT

I was writing this post while checking on a some sites I've used.

After I posted I saw the reply from

bodyxs

I would definitely try their approach first.

My advice was based on coming to understand malware on a Mac - but I was clean.

And I am going to follow the links bodyxs listed.

We can all learn more.

Have you checked for suspicious extensions in Safari under Safari Preferences? Or just remove them all.

If that doesn't help have a look at https://sensorstechforum.com/wants-access-to-control-safari-virus-removal/

Now of course they want to sell you SpyHunter for Mac.

This App isn't available on the Mac App Store and I am not very good about web security and downloading Apps from external sites. The websites I trust direct you to the App store. I am still getting my head around what is and isn't correct about viruses, malware, worms, trojans, rootkits, spyware, bots, or whatever.

I did download Intego VirusBarrier Scanner which claims to detect malware.

It is a free download from the App Store. When I first ran VirusBarrier it pickup some very old Word docs from when I was using a PC, over 15 years ago. And it does not send me messages about upgrading to Intego Mac Premium Bundle X9 - or if it did I turned it off. Mac Premium Bundle X9 is a collection of security-focused programs, including VirusBarrier - which may be the same one as the free download.

I guess from easy to hard:

1. Remove all Extensors from Safari - But I'd try doing it from starting my Mac in Safe Mode - that stops all software from launching during the boot process. It then runs a First Aid check of your Mac's startup disk and deletes some system caches that can be created again. I will admit that might be overkill.
  2. Try VirusBarrier Scanner from the macOS App store.
  3. Have a look at the article linked above. As far as the comment: "Manual threat removal might be a lengthy and complicated process that requires advanced computer skills". Remember they want to sell your their App: SpyHunter for Mac, which is not available on the App store.

If I wasn't sure about removing a file from a library I'd ask someone to check if they have that file as well - why not ask here.

Good luck.

May 8, 2021 1:31 AM in response to Southpaw Golfer

I suggest you not install any anti virus / malware removal app. You need to grant them access to your whole Mac.

"Constraints:

• Due to Mac App Store sandboxing, VirusBarrier Scanner can only access the locations to which it is explicitly granted access to. For maximum protection, we recommend granting access to the entire disk.

• Malware removal may be limited by permissions for the user running the app."

May 8, 2021 2:12 AM in response to bodyxs

Thanks for this.

1 - Nothing unusual in "security preferences"

2 - I have no Safari extensions.

3 - I can't locate anything in these libraries.

4 - BINGO - there it is showing up in Activity monitor. Saying "11369....etc. (Not Responding)". Presumably not responding because I have closed down Safari and removed it from the dock. The minute I open Safari though, this starts using CPU.

BUT, I can't locate the offending files to delete them!!!

PS - thanks for the links. Yes, I've found the Apple advise on Malware. But I just cannot find any useful Apple advise on what to do once you have Malware. Apple seem to think that it will be removed once you close down and reboot your system. It doesn't work for me. These malicious messages just keep returning.

May 8, 2021 3:08 AM in response to bodyxs

To anyone reading this, I suggest you to not download any antivirus / adware removal app, not even for free like Malwarebytes or any other. Nothing is for free, unless you want to grant access to an unknown app from the web, or even the Mac App Store and give access to your whole computer.

If you came here it's because somoene created a piece of software and you want to get rid of it. Now, think why somoene created it? What are they after? Just to show some annoying ads? Maybe to make you believe you are unsafe and need another app who will save you?.. Think Different

Always check who's offering the App, Read TOS, Privacy Policy. Do not even trust in online reviews which most of the time are false advertising, paid one. Check and decide by yourself, search malware removal and see how many articles online you will find with a "magical app" recommended at the end.

Keep questioning, searching, and learning. Do not even take my words for granted.

Cheers.

Malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.