Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I delete Photos from my computer ?

If I delete all of Photos from MacBook pro can i still download photos?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2021 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 5:30 AM

Hi

If you are storing your photos just as individual image files, and don't want to use the photos app/library, then you can use the image capture app to transfer image files from your phone to any folder you like - either on your mac, or on your external drive.

Your other option is to delete everything out of the photos app, and use this to do the download - exporting the images to your external drive before deleting them from the app.

However, whatever you do, please make sure you have a way of regularly backing everything up - if you don't, you will eventually lose them.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 5:30 AM in response to raindog300

Hi

If you are storing your photos just as individual image files, and don't want to use the photos app/library, then you can use the image capture app to transfer image files from your phone to any folder you like - either on your mac, or on your external drive.

Your other option is to delete everything out of the photos app, and use this to do the download - exporting the images to your external drive before deleting them from the app.

However, whatever you do, please make sure you have a way of regularly backing everything up - if you don't, you will eventually lose them.

May 10, 2021 5:03 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Oh I have placed all my photos on an external hard drive but they are still on my computer and I am not sure if I should trash the photos app altogether. If I do can I continue to download pics from my iPhone and my camera to my computer or do I simply delete all photos and keep the photos app in order to do this.

Also should I delete the iPhoto app still hanging around.

Thank you very much for helping

can I delete Photos from my computer ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.