Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network settings

I have a problem with app's cellular settings (on/ off states are fixed, no way to change whether app can or cannot use a mobile network) and I cannot setup any VPN profile (both issues reported). The former strated with iOS 12 or 13, the latter with the latest 14.6 public beta 2.

Now I have tried to Reset All Settings and Reset Network Settings. According to the Apple Support website after that all my Cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth and VPN settings should be cleared and I can start from scratch. Well, the only *visible* change in the "network area" is a loss of WIFI passwords. Bluetooth settings are still there (I have no problem with BT sett., but I expected to have them cleared), cellular are stucked as they was, VPNs cannot be created (I have no VPN profile and have "Error Domain=NEVPNErrorDomain Code=5 total NetworkExtension configuration size limit exceeded" it's from Wireguard log).

Is there a way to REALLY clear the settings (via iTunes, DFU or anything else) without erasing user's data?

Backup-EraseAll-Restore procedure via iCloud and iTunes did not help too.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on May 9, 2021 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 11:24 AM

Well, I used paid, 3rd party app (I will not name it directly, I believe I'm not allowed to do it), one of the "iTunes alternatives" that allows editing backups, and it did an amazing job. I decoded and checked system files and I decided to delete "DataUsage.sqlite" and "CellularUsage.db" at "WirelessDomain\Library\Databases" for my problems with cellular settings. For my VPN problems I removed "SystemPreferencesDomain\SystemConfiguration\preferences.plist" and "SystemPreferencesDomain\com.apple.networkextension.plist".

After the restore, I have now 100% fully working iPhone, finally.

I wonder why "Reset Network Settings" does not clear these files? And "Reset All Settings" as well?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2021 11:24 AM in response to cookamunga

Well, I used paid, 3rd party app (I will not name it directly, I believe I'm not allowed to do it), one of the "iTunes alternatives" that allows editing backups, and it did an amazing job. I decoded and checked system files and I decided to delete "DataUsage.sqlite" and "CellularUsage.db" at "WirelessDomain\Library\Databases" for my problems with cellular settings. For my VPN problems I removed "SystemPreferencesDomain\SystemConfiguration\preferences.plist" and "SystemPreferencesDomain\com.apple.networkextension.plist".

After the restore, I have now 100% fully working iPhone, finally.

I wonder why "Reset Network Settings" does not clear these files? And "Reset All Settings" as well?

Jun 2, 2021 10:32 PM in response to cookamunga

I finally managed to solve it by doing a local backup, removing five files from it (they should be cleared by Reset All Settings but they are not touched by the procedure, which I find very strange) and restoring the backup.

Now my Cellular data and VPNs are working as they should work after Reset Network Settings.

Apple, clear more files during the reset procedure. Seriously.

Network settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.