You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why problems with WD Easystore after upgrades on Mac

I have a 2T WD Easystore external I use for bi-weekly total backups. I use the program Carbon Copy Cloner. I always check for updates before cloning. Things had gotten in the way and over 1 ½ months went by without a backup. When I ran it last week, the WD would not mount. I went through all the disk repairs offered with Disk Utility but found myself having to erase and do a 'from scratch' bootable backup. Today, after doing the OS 11.3.1 upgrade, I tried to run another backup. The WD did not mount. This time, after running all the disk repair options in disk utility, I felt confident my backup would be OK--which it appears to be. However, when I attempted to eject the disk (high lighting all images and choosing to eject all, it did not. I waited many minutes. I opened disk utility to unmount from that when the disk icons disappeared from my desktop. BUT-the disk information for that WD external is still showing in the disk utility as still mounted, I assume. The containers are dimmed but the WD easystore 25FC Media (its title) is not. I fear that unplugging the external from my Mac will give me the message about an improper eject, with fears of another round of backup probs next week. I'm waiting for my new iMac to arrive and plan to use the backup from the afore mentioned external to migrate. How can I ensure there won't be a problem?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 9, 2021 7:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 8:40 AM

DJMc wrote:

I have a 2T WD Easystore external I use for bi-weekly total backups. I use the program Carbon Copy Cloner. I always check for updates before cloning. Things had gotten in the way and over 1 ½ months went by without a backup. When I ran it last week, the WD would not mount. I went through all the disk repairs offered with Disk Utility but found myself having to erase and do a 'from scratch' bootable backup. Today, after doing the OS 11.3.1 upgrade, I tried to run another backup. The WD did not mount. This time, after running all the disk repair options in disk utility, I felt confident my backup would be OK--which it appears to be. However, when I attempted to eject the disk (high lighting all images and choosing to eject all, it did not. I waited many minutes. I opened disk utility to unmount from that when the disk icons disappeared from my desktop. BUT-the disk information for that WD external is still showing in the disk utility as still mounted, I assume. The containers are dimmed but the WD easystore 25FC Media (its title) is not. I fear that unplugging the external from my Mac will give me the message about an improper eject, with fears of another round of backup probs next week. I'm waiting for my new iMac to arrive and plan to use the backup from the afore mentioned external to migrate. How can I ensure there won't be a problem?

All drives will fail in due time...

If you value your user data—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Bootclones-https://bombich.com/blog/2020/11/03/yes-you-can-have-bootable-backups-on-macos-big-sur

Time machine: —Back up your Mac with Time Machine: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Do not wait for a catestrophic failure to realize your backup plan is inadequate.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2021 8:40 AM in response to DJMc

DJMc wrote:

All drives will fail in due time...

If you value your user data—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Bootclones-https://bombich.com/blog/2020/11/03/yes-you-can-have-bootable-backups-on-macos-big-sur

Time machine: —Back up your Mac with Time Machine: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Do not wait for a catestrophic failure to realize your backup plan is inadequate.

Why problems with WD Easystore after upgrades on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.