Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use the mail app with aol account

My parents have an iMac late 2013 running OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and I can't get my fathers email to work anymore by using the mail app. I can get it to work on my laptop running Big Sur but when I try to create a new internet account to access mail it doesn't recognize his info. The one difference when creating the internet account on the different OS's is that the High Sierra ask for name whereas Big Sur just ask for email and password. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jack

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 9, 2021 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 12:55 PM

jackb1717 Said:

"How do I use the mail app with aol account: My parents have an iMac late 2013 running OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and I can't get my fathers email to work anymore by using the mail app.[...]"

-------

Use of an App Password:

Do you use an App Password? Tf so, try a new App Password. It may need to resync it the App password has expired (something often seen after updating your device or other installations).

See how AOL Uses it:

As an example, here is how AOL uses an app password. You may need to use an app password. Go Here: Create and Manage Third-Party App Passwords - AOL Help

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 12:55 PM in response to jackb1717

jackb1717 Said:

"How do I use the mail app with aol account: My parents have an iMac late 2013 running OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and I can't get my fathers email to work anymore by using the mail app.[...]"

-------

Use of an App Password:

Do you use an App Password? Tf so, try a new App Password. It may need to resync it the App password has expired (something often seen after updating your device or other installations).

See how AOL Uses it:

As an example, here is how AOL uses an app password. You may need to use an app password. Go Here: Create and Manage Third-Party App Passwords - AOL Help

May 11, 2021 1:52 AM in response to TheLittles

He has never used an app password. He had aol mail set up under the Apple mail app and it worked just fine up until about a month ago. I am assuming since his computer is not able to update to the new OS (Big Sur) this is what is causing the computer to not allow him to get mail to the mail app?????

I was hoping to not create another step for him to have to go through to check his email. The man is 84 years old and its challenging enough just to keep his and my mothers computer up and running while they mistakenly click on links in spam emails or click on websites that should never be visited.

I was hoping that someone might have had a similar issue and found a work around that was simple and not involving more steps. I will check with AOL and any of their help forms to see if such a case exists. Thanks for the reply I do appreciate it.

Jack

May 11, 2021 9:11 AM in response to jackb1717

jackb1717 Said:

"How do I use the mail app with aol account: He has never used an app password [...]I was hoping not to create another step for him to have to go through to check his email[...]

———-

Try an App Password:

It might be an extra step. But, an app password seems the way to go in this case. So, either set it up yourself, or have them set it up themselves, or have a third-party set it up (ie friend it neighbor).

How do I use the mail app with aol account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.