Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can enter time machine but it won't "go back in time"!

When I launch time machine it will go to the Star Wars looking screen but won't allow me to scroll back through time. I have checked the backup and it is all there. I can go through it manually but the cool interface is not working. Can someone please help?

27" i5 iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 1 tb, 8 gb ram

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 12:35 PM

See User Tips for Time Machine for help with TM problems. Also you can select Mac Help from the Finder's Help menu and search for "time machine" to locate articles on how to use TM. See also Mac 101- Time Machine.
7 replies

Jul 31, 2010 2:28 PM in response to reidc4

Guys, I know haw to use time machine, and it was working fine up until about three weeks ago. Now the arrows don't work and the side bar does nothing either. Something is obviously wrong. I tried trashing the preference file and using DU on the drive but still doesn't work like its supposed to. I even tried doing a reinstall of the OS. Still not working. I've searched the everywhere. I can't figure out how to fix this. I'm not a newcomer to the Mac. I've been using them for over 20 years. I'm really stumped here.

Jul 31, 2010 3:28 PM in response to reidc4

reidc4 wrote:
Guys, I know haw to use time machine, and it was working fine up until about three weeks ago.

Did something unusual happen then? Full restore, system problems, disk problems, anything?

Now the arrows don't work and the side bar does nothing either.

Do you mean the Finder sidebar, or the Timeline on the right? Do the backups appear in the Timeline?

Something is obviously wrong.

Nobody's arguing with you.

Have you tried everything in #E4?

Have you tried the Browse option, per #E2 in Troubleshooting?

Where are your backups (locally-connected external HD, Time Capsule, other)?

Jul 31, 2010 3:41 PM in response to Pondini

Sorry, Didn't mean to sound like I thought someone was arguing. Just frustrated with the problem. I've tried everything I can find. Nothing unusual happened. All back ups seem to be fine. I can brows through them manually just not through the Time Machine interface.

I mean the timeline on the right and no the backups do not appear over there.

Thanks for the help!

I can enter time machine but it won't "go back in time"!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.