Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop watch from asking if I was washing my hands?

I have an Apple Watch 6 and I vaguely remember an option during set up that asked if I would help make the hand washing detection better which I clicked yes on. But the constant pestering "if I was washing my hands" is getting on my nerves. How do I turn this off?

Apple Watch

Posted on May 9, 2021 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 12:38 PM

Hi medium-cool,

Thanks for clarifying. On your paired iPhone go to  Settings > Privacy > Analytics and Improvement > Improve Handwashing and you can disable this feature and you won't be asked to Improve Handwashing.

Best!

4 replies

May 10, 2021 11:21 AM in response to medium-cool

Hi medium-cool,

It sounds like you'd like to turn Handwashing Notifications off. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

Follow the steps in "Turn on Handwashing and Handwashing Reminders" in Wash your hands with Apple Watch Series 4 or later. This link will guide you through how to change the settings for Handwashing.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

May 10, 2021 8:40 PM in response to barberlives123

No, I'm not actually. I'm talking about turning off the "hand washing training" questions that happen whenever my watch isn't sure that I'm washing my hands. I get messages like "were you just washing your hands" with options to say "yes", "it was a quick rinse" or "no I wasn't washing my hands." This is ostensible to make the hand washing detection better, but it's become very annoying after several months and plus, why should I train their machine learning models and not be compensated for it? I want to turn this off so I can stop wasting my time responding to these notifications.

How to stop watch from asking if I was washing my hands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.