Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID linking to previous owner

I’m attempting to update an app and it’s requesting my Apple ID password. I put it in and it shows up as wrong. And asks me if I want to continue with xxx@icloud vs my iCloud email. This is happening even though my phone is and has been registered under my Apple ID for years

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on May 9, 2021 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 9:53 AM

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.   

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Irene_51

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.   

Apple ID linking to previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.