Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having difficulty in transferring information to new Mac air

Having difficulty in transferring information to new Mac

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 10, 2021 1:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 10:50 AM

With all due respect, if you are providing no useful information as to what you have experienced, how do you expect for any of us to know what to suggest? Maybe the following information will be useful. Here is what I suggest. I suggest that you use Apple's Migration Assistant app to do the transfer. It was designed for this purpose and easy to use. The basic steps are the following.

Start both computers up and begin the setup process on the new Mac.

At some point you will be asked if you want to transfer data from your old computer. Say yes.

Connect both computers with a USB cable. Do not use Wi-Fi for the transfer. It is too slow and your data is likely to be corrupted due to the volume of data to be transferred.

Open the Migration Assistant app in both computers and follow instructions.

You will be presented with some options as to what to transfer. Click the appropriate boxes.

I suggest that you copy your preferences and settings.

You can either have Migration Assistant copy your files or copy them over manually. You can not selectively transfer files.

You can either have Migration Assistant copy your apps or you can elect to download and reinstall them. In either case, some of them may require that they be reregistered to work in the new computer. In some cases, apps may need to be upgraded to work. There may be a cost to upgrade some of them.

Your old operating system will not be transferred.

All files in the old computer will remain intact.

The transfer may take up to an hour, more or less, depending on the volume of data to be transferred.

Enjoy your new Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Dadaona

With all due respect, if you are providing no useful information as to what you have experienced, how do you expect for any of us to know what to suggest? Maybe the following information will be useful. Here is what I suggest. I suggest that you use Apple's Migration Assistant app to do the transfer. It was designed for this purpose and easy to use. The basic steps are the following.

Start both computers up and begin the setup process on the new Mac.

At some point you will be asked if you want to transfer data from your old computer. Say yes.

Connect both computers with a USB cable. Do not use Wi-Fi for the transfer. It is too slow and your data is likely to be corrupted due to the volume of data to be transferred.

Open the Migration Assistant app in both computers and follow instructions.

You will be presented with some options as to what to transfer. Click the appropriate boxes.

I suggest that you copy your preferences and settings.

You can either have Migration Assistant copy your files or copy them over manually. You can not selectively transfer files.

You can either have Migration Assistant copy your apps or you can elect to download and reinstall them. In either case, some of them may require that they be reregistered to work in the new computer. In some cases, apps may need to be upgraded to work. There may be a cost to upgrade some of them.

Your old operating system will not be transferred.

All files in the old computer will remain intact.

The transfer may take up to an hour, more or less, depending on the volume of data to be transferred.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I am having difficulty in transferring information to new Mac air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.