Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud photos album

Hi,

My situation at the moment is the following:

On my 2013 MBP with macOS Big Sur I have a very large Photos library (440 GB) organised in lots of folders and albums. On my iPhone X (iOS 14.4.2) I also have many (different) photos also organised into (different) albums. The two libraries are so far independent with different photos (with some overlap) and haven't been synced even though they both are connected to the same Apple ID (I currently don't have Photo Stream or iCloud Photos set up and haven't synced my phone to my Mac in a very long time).

I now have the following two questions, for which I couldn't find any clear answers in the forum:

--> (1) If I would sign up for a 2TB iCloud storage plan and would switch on iCloud Photos on both devices (with my Mac being the system library), would the resulting merged iCloud Photos library have all the albums both from my iPhone and from my Mac (that is "Albums" not just photos)? Or would it only have all the photos from both devices but the album structure from only one of the devices (e.g. my Mac)?

--> (2) If the resulting iCould Photos library does indeed also perfectly merge all the pre-existing albums from both devices, would then the resulting system library on my Mac accordingly now also show all the albums which I had created on my iPhone before setting up iCloud Photos?

Thank you, all the best,

Michael

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 10, 2021 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 7:50 AM

I now have the following two questions, for which I couldn't find any clear answers in the forum:

--> (1) If I would sign up for a 2TB iCloud storage plan and would switch on iCloud Photos on both devices (with my Mac being the system library), would the resulting merged iCloud Photos library have all the albums both from my iPhone and from my Mac (that is "Albums" not just photos)? Or would it only have all the photos from both devices but the album structure from only one of the devices (e.g. my Mac)?

--> (2) If the resulting iCould Photos library does indeed also perfectly merge all the pre-existing albums from both devices, would then the resulting system library on my Mac accordingly now also show all the albums which I had created on my iPhone before setting up iCloud Photos?

Thank you, all the best,

Michael

By design, the 3 libraries, iCloud, macOS and iOS would be in sync at the end.

The free space on your phone would be a consideration. It would be the weak link here. A 440GB library on a Mac may take 44GB or more on your phone. You would have to optimize the phone's library which means smaller sized photos and no videos on the phone.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 7:50 AM in response to Buffalohill

Thank you, all the best,

Michael

By design, the 3 libraries, iCloud, macOS and iOS would be in sync at the end.

The free space on your phone would be a consideration. It would be the weak link here. A 440GB library on a Mac may take 44GB or more on your phone. You would have to optimize the phone's library which means smaller sized photos and no videos on the phone.

May 10, 2021 9:19 AM in response to Buffalohill

occasionally I had it happen, that the albums vanished, when I started to use iCloud Photos on several devices at the same time. So I recommend strongly to make sure you create a current backups of your library on your Mac before you start using iCloud Photos, better safe than sorry.

It seemed to work better, when I first enabled iCloud Photos on the iOS devices and got them in sync with iCloud Photos Library, before I enabled iCloud Photos on the Mac.

icloud photos album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.