Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it a bad thing to have my macbook air plugged in whenever I'm not on the go with it?

Is it a bad thing to have my macbook air plugged in whenever I'm not on the go with it?

Posted on May 10, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 2:28 PM

I'll agree with Phil0124.

It's fine to leave your Mac plugged in. Persoanlly, I own a MacBook Pro from Late 2011. I changed the battery finally after nearly 10 years. I swapped the battery not because it went bad but because of it's age and didn't want it to suddenly swell and cause damage to this pretty much pristine MacBook Pro.

The old battery had 353 charge cycles on it and was at about 85% of it's original capacity. The MacBook was kept plugged in about 95% of the time with monthly usage on battery to keep it active.

Heat is one of the biggest factors as far as battery heath goes...too much heat is a bad thing.

See Apple's official battery tips here:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 2:28 PM in response to mybestieEik

I'll agree with Phil0124.

It's fine to leave your Mac plugged in. Persoanlly, I own a MacBook Pro from Late 2011. I changed the battery finally after nearly 10 years. I swapped the battery not because it went bad but because of it's age and didn't want it to suddenly swell and cause damage to this pretty much pristine MacBook Pro.

The old battery had 353 charge cycles on it and was at about 85% of it's original capacity. The MacBook was kept plugged in about 95% of the time with monthly usage on battery to keep it active.

Heat is one of the biggest factors as far as battery heath goes...too much heat is a bad thing.

See Apple's official battery tips here:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

May 11, 2021 3:40 AM in response to mybestieEik

Similar to @SergZak, I also have a 2011 MacBook Pro that is still

working fine. Before I got my new M1 MacBook Air it was

plugged into power 24/7 except when "on the road". The battery

at this point is due to be replaced since I only get about 3 hours

on battery with no power saving settings in use which I consider

quite good for an 11 year old laptop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.