Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud data from old computer

I've already asked this but with wrong "topic"

If I erase an old iMac and delete from my apple account. Will the data (which) is old and only on that old computer remain on my iCloud drive? Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on May 11, 2021 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 10:40 AM

Hi,

If you erase you Mac and remove it on your Apple account, backup(s) associated to this device made on iCloud will be deleted.

However, if you uploaded some files in iCloud Drive from your Mac, these files won’t be deleted.

4 replies

May 11, 2021 10:44 AM in response to PhilColbert

Your question doesn't quite make sense:

> If I erase an old iMac... Will the data which is only on that old computer remain on my iCloud drive

No. By your own definition, if the data only exists on this old Mac, then its deleted when that Mac's drive is erased. You don't have any other copies.

However, if your Mac is backed up to iCloud then the backed up data will remain in iCloud, even if the original Mac is erased, but that's mot how you phrased your question, so I wanted to make sure it was clear.

iCloud data from old computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.