You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 iPad Pro battery dropping from 100% to 2% WHILST CONNECTED TO POWER

(Apologies for the caps, but felt I needed to emphasise that last bit)

I have a 2017 iPad Pro, running iPadOS 14.6. Just recently - and I can’t recall when I first noticed it - the battery indicators (that is both in the top right corner and the widget) will suddenly show the battery to be 2%.  It will literally be 100% one minute, and then I’ll leave it to go to sleep and, the next time I look at it, it’ll be 2%. 

I’ve tried replacing the power hub from a no-name to Anker, and replacing the cable (it was using an Amazon Basics cable and, in my experience, they’re false economy. I have replaced it with an OtterBox cable). It was fine for 2 or 3 days but it’s happened again just now (indicator now stuck on 4%). I’ve even tried plugging it directly into the wall, but that didn’t help. 

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this, as I really can’t afford to replace it right now, and it’s in constant daily use. Is this a sign the battery is dying…? How do I check it…? If so, will Apple replace it…? I spoke to my parents, who have a first generation iPad Air, which is obviously far older than this, and the battery in that seems to be fine.

It’s now refusing to budge past 4%. Oh it’s now 5%, but it’s glacially slow. 

Any help, folks…?

ETA: It will now go up 2%, then back up 1%, then down 1, then back up 2. It’s back up to 35% from 33. I have no problems with my phone or my MacBook Pro. Just my iPad. My phone is connected to the same hub.

Posted on May 11, 2021 12:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 6:24 PM

Start here:

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

As described your battery may require replacement. Assuming that the iPad remains functional, you would be well advised to directly contact Apple Support - and request a remote battery test. The result of the test may better inform your next steps.

You will find the Contact Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can open a support case using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

As a further alternative, you might visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to test and assess you iPad.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2021 6:24 PM in response to RosaAlba

Start here:

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

As described your battery may require replacement. Assuming that the iPad remains functional, you would be well advised to directly contact Apple Support - and request a remote battery test. The result of the test may better inform your next steps.

You will find the Contact Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can open a support case using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

As a further alternative, you might visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to test and assess you iPad.

May 22, 2021 9:03 AM in response to RosaAlba

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I am not in a position at the moment to get an Apple Store (my nearest being a 100 mile round trip). The reason I've not responded to this is that it's been fine for about 2 weeks, but it's just happened again now. It's annoying because I had wanted to loan it to someone (I do also have a 2020 Pro) but obviously, if this is going to keep happening, I can't (she's autistic and nonverbal and it would be very frustrating for her).

I'll download the app and get Apple to test the battery. If it IS failing, I think that's pretty poor. I know it's 4 years old, but still.

2017 iPad Pro battery dropping from 100% to 2% WHILST CONNECTED TO POWER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.