Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verification by serial number

Recently I received an email from Apple that I Purchased an App that I had recently purchased for a new phone with a new Apple ID and phone # because I believe my old phone number and router had been hacked. I clicked on a report a problem because the product name was different then was displayed in the App Store and then clicked on “show all purchases”. I was surprised to see that two days after I purchased my new phone that I purchased 7 apps that come standard in IOS (Pages, iTunes, Numbers, Apple Store, iMovie, Keynote, Garageband) plus rhe app I purchase 2 days previously. When. I tried to report the problem it allowe requires me to chat without having me sign into anything with my Apple ID or password so it took me by surprise when the agent answered by saying “Hi Carl. The blessed me and my family and asked how I could be assisted without announcing his or her name. I asked why Apple showed I purchased the app on the day I bought the phone and the I purchased it again 2 days later and on that same day it shows I purchased rhe 7 apps that come standard in IOS. She said ib order to help me she would need some payment details and that to verify my identity she would need to scan my phone for its serial number. But since I never logged into anything with my user ID and password what good is scanning my serial number? It would just identify the phone and not who I am? Is there any chance that this chat was spoofed? Is it normal for Apple to ask to verify identity by scanning serial number? Couldn’t she just ask me for it? And furthermore she asked me to click in my Apple ID wmd to go into Media and purchases. She asked me if the other apps that were downloaded looked right. There weren’t many so she said everything looked ok to her without addressing why my phone would show I purchased apps that were inclined in the standard iOS bundle

have I been hacked?

also off topic, but I have a Fios router with Fios TV. My router is in bridge mode but I didn’t set it up that way. It shouldn’t be right? I have had 5 calls with Verizon asking why the WAN light is not on and not one rep had said it’s because the router is in bridge mode. They have all made excuses or said the bulb is just out or even that I gave internet service so why should I care. Please help me.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on May 11, 2021 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 2:55 PM

It sounds like you are saying it’s a new device and new Apple ID.

No, you have not been compromised. These Apple apps become associated with the new Apple ID after setting up the new Apple device so they will always be quickly available for future downloads. This began in 2017 I believe.

The “scan” is one of two things: A. to link the serial number to your case. B. to verify you using a Trusted device using the same Apple ID so they can look at and discuss your Apple ID with you.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 2:55 PM in response to HCIGTLOMP

It sounds like you are saying it’s a new device and new Apple ID.

No, you have not been compromised. These Apple apps become associated with the new Apple ID after setting up the new Apple device so they will always be quickly available for future downloads. This began in 2017 I believe.

The “scan” is one of two things: A. to link the serial number to your case. B. to verify you using a Trusted device using the same Apple ID so they can look at and discuss your Apple ID with you.

May 11, 2021 1:03 PM in response to HCIGTLOMP

if it's not jailbroken its very difficult to hack an iPhone outside of a government agency intercepting data from your provider or over public infrastructure.

the website URL looks like apple.com

I'd call Apple directly 1-800.my.apple

Not sure with the Fios router light, go to the router using it's IP address and see if anything looks out of place. remember where everything was when you got there. you can probably find instructions on the web.

May 12, 2021 1:15 PM in response to shoeluvr13

Thanks for the responses very helpful. Still concerned about the Norton product I downloaded. According to Norton website Norton 360 for Mobile is $14.99 per year and comes with 3 device licenses. Norton 360 Deluxe is $49.99 per year and comes with 5 device licenses. So why am I getting the Norton 360 Mobile Product, paying $49.99, and getting only 1 device license? That’s why I think I have the cydia version of the Apple Store.

Verification by serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.