Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave/Big Sur Partition specifics wrt Lightroom Classic.

Currently running Mojave 10.14.6 on 2017 iMac. I have not upgraded to Big Sur because I have several years of photos edited in Lightroom Classic, which isn’t supported on OS later than Mojave. If I were to partition the hard drive to put LR on a partition running Mojave and update the rest of the computer to Big Sur, how, exactly, would that work?

I currently import my photos from the SD card to an external hard drive, and from there into Lightroom, but am a little squiffy on where those edits are archived in the world of LR (if you know that detail, please share)?. Would I be able to access previously edited photos from inside the Mojave partition or do I need to migrate older photos imported to and edited in Lightroom to the new partition (which requires me to know where the edits are kept and which obviously affects the required size of the partition)? If I want to email or text a photo do I do that from within the Mojave partition (do I have to install messages and mail on that partition?) or do I have to reboot into Big Sur (after which, how do I access the photo I want to send?)? I can’t even figure out the correct vocabulary to ask this question. I have the program on a DVD - will I have to reinstall it on the partition?

Please assume I’m a complete idiot on this topic, if you hadn’t already come to that conclusion from my question. I kind of understand the mechanics of forming a partition, but working with partitions is completely foreign to me. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

iMac 27″ 5K, 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2021 7:13 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 11, 2021 9:37 PM in response to Nancy Schilling

According to this, https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html Lightroom Classic requires Mojave or later, with Catalina or Big Sur recommended. My daughter runs a photography business and uses Lightroom Classic with her Mac on Catalina.

Also in Lightroom Classic, you EXPORT your images from the program in a format that you choose, such as jpg, which you can then email, text or use however you wish. You can do those things with those image files in whatever operating system you are booted into.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/exporting-photos-basic-workflow.html

May 12, 2021 8:44 AM in response to Nancy Schilling

I have Big Sur on Mac mini 2018 main internal disk and Mojave and Lightroom 6.14 on external disk (but I guess they could as well be on the main internal disk's APFS volume).

I occasionally boot to the external disk's Mojave and run Lightroom to import & process & export images on the Big Sur volume's folder. Some Canon R5 .cr3 raw images must first be converted to .dng with Adobe DNG converter because Mojave does not support them.

May 12, 2021 11:55 AM in response to Nancy Schilling

Nancy Schilling wrote:

I guess I had read that LR 6 (which is what I have - is Classic the same or another version?) was 32 bit and might or might not work with the 64 bit Mac OS.

If your version is 32 bit or won't run under an OS later than Mojave, then you can certainly have a Mojave partition into which you boot to run your version Lightroom. You would export the photos from Lightroom into a commonly used format like jpg or tiff, as I indicated with links in my earlier post. Those images can be saved onto the Mojave disk, or the Big Sur disk, or any disk, they are just files, and should be readable from either disk when booted into either OS (Mojave or Big Sur, or Catalina ...) and inserted into emails, texts, or used in some other way (printed, inserted into other documents, etc.).

Mojave/Big Sur Partition specifics wrt Lightroom Classic.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.