Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up messages

I do NOT have Messages set up so that they may all be viewed on my Macbook. I want to save text strings on my iPhone in Messages for viewing later, and go ahead and delete them off the phone. I thought I had set Messages from either device to be saved to iCloud, but when I log into iCloud, I do not see the icon, in order to open stored message/text strings and read them. Can I do this in iCloud? I see a block of my storage dedicated to Messages so I assume they are there.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 10:09 AM

vrcook wrote:

I do NOT have Messages set up so that they may all be viewed on my Macbook. I want to save text strings on my iPhone in Messages for viewing later, and go ahead and delete them off the phone. I thought I had set Messages from either device to be saved to iCloud, but when I log into iCloud, I do not see the icon, in order to open stored message/text strings and read them. Can I do this in iCloud? I see a block of my storage dedicated to Messages so I assume they are there.

You won't be able to save or sync to icloud and delete message off your phone, it doesn't work that way.

Read here icloud backups What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Read here syncing with icloud Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

You'll need to buy a 3rd party software like touch copy to do what you want.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2021 10:09 AM in response to vrcook

vrcook wrote:

You won't be able to save or sync to icloud and delete message off your phone, it doesn't work that way.

Read here icloud backups What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Read here syncing with icloud Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

You'll need to buy a 3rd party software like touch copy to do what you want.

Backing up messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.